Thread: Flying in Canada

Flying in Canada

I plan to fly into Canada and would appreciate some insight regarding differences, if any, in procedures and protocols from flying in the United States. For example, are airspace and airport classifications the same? Are VFR and IFR rules the same (visibility and cloud clearance)? What about flight following, flight service stations, flight watch, user fees? I assume that all of this is discussed somewhere but most of what I find pertains to customs, insurance, radio licenses, transponders, etc., not baseline flying. Perhaps this is because things are the same; I’d like to know that as a fact and not an assumption.

Thanks.

A good place to start is here -> http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/acts-regulat...-sor96-433.htm

Flying in Canada is pretty easy. You should just be aware that they use the full ICAO flight plan form and you will receive a small bill for air traffic control services a few months after your trip. Something like $20 USD.

The Canadian customs staff has always treated me well. Coming back into the US can be a less satisfactory experience, but they were improving.

Best of luck,

Wes

AOPA has some great info on flying to/from Canada here.

http://www.aopa.org/Flight-Planning/Canada

As a Canadian that routinely flies both VFR and IFR in the US and Canada, my very general comment would be that if you are current and comfortable at home, you'll do just fine in Canada. Yes there are some small differences and nuances between the rules but by and large the basics are the same. The biggest difference you'll notice is a lack of "service" type attitude in Canada, whether its from controllers or FBO's... In the US, they have the attitude of being there to serve pilots, in Canada, it's more like they are doing you a favor to help you out!