Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chapter Activities -- What makes your members excited?

Chapter Activities -- What makes your members excited?

Please share some of your chapter activities that really seem to get your members involved. What hands on things can you share with each other?

I always liked our annual chili cook-off. Not really aviation related but a fun get together and less labor intensive than many other events. Not really a "chili competition" but more of a pot luck with a token prize to whoever gets the most votes.

Anything with food. Food and airplanes flying in is also a good combination.

Our chapter does an annual "Project Patrol" every winter, around this time. We pick a Saturday, meet at a greasy spoon for breakfast, then spend the day driving from one workshop to the next checking out various members' homebuilding (or sometimes restoration) projects. We preplan so as to hit as many as we can within reasonable driving distance and usually hit 3-5 projects in a Saturday. It has proven to be a very popular event among the homebuilders and especially the wannabe homebuilders who need a little inspiration to start a project. Easy to do with little effort on the part of the chapter board.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Cookies and our three dollar lunch every Saturday. The Eagles Nest will also be a drawn once I finish the Surround Sound system.

Young Eagles Coordinator Chapter 14 - San Diego

I invited a retired engineer scientist who actually worked/flew on the B29 with nuclear reactor to discuss the procedures/aircraft and radiation risk.

I have also given presentations on hot to fly cross country in our congested airspace VFR and IFR with B airspace.

Last month I brought in the proposal to do a poker run which is now scheduled for October.

I also confront those (politely) who don't want to do events if the chapter loses $$. Many want a profit on every event or they actually fold their arms and say, "If you don't do it my way I won't be there and won't support it".

Wow.......This thread says a lot...

Tony

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by vettdvr View Post
    I also confront those (politely) who don't want to do events if the chapter loses $$. Many want a profit on every event or they actually fold their arms and say, "If you don't do it my way I won't be there and won't support it".

Every organization has some of those. Ask them for their input, ask them to volunteer, then move on.

BJC

I think of them as grenadiers. They sit on the out side, wanting to do nothing, critique everything because they are humanity's gift to aviation, then they throw disruptive grenades into the meeting and be disruptive to those wanting to make progress.

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by vettdvr View Post
    I think of them as grenadiers. They sit on the out side, wanting to do nothing, critique everything because they are humanity's gift to aviation, then they throw disruptive grenades into the meeting and be disruptive to those wanting to make progress.

Are you down at L38?

JFDP was my college roommate.

BJC