Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pilot's Bill of Rights 2

Pilot's Bill of Rights 2

Still awaiting the actual PBOR2 text, but here is some detail from Senator Inhofe's website

Pilot's Bill of Rights 2
    Section by Section
    Section 1 Title. Pilot's Bill of Rights 2

Section 2 Expands FAA's 3rd class medical exemption for light sport aircraft to cover most small GA aircraft. Same text as S. 2103, but prohibits enforcement of violations if FAA has not complied with these provisions within 180 days of enactment. (Supposedly this includes IFR too)

Section 3 Reigns in Customs and Border Patrol stops and searches of GA by requiring CBP to follow general law enforce ment standards when exercising its powers.

Section 4 Provides local airport offices to manage the use of private hangars at airports. Current law gives federal officials and Washington the ability to dictate what does and doesn?t happen inside a hangar; this section changes that problem.

Section 5 Opens a dialogue on language that will make it easier to install new, safety enhancing equipment on existing aircraft without going through a lengthy, expensive certification process.

Section 6 Expanding the Pilot's Bill of Rights

Subsections a-b: Explicitly states that pilots facing an investigation by FAA can appeal the issue directly to a federal district court for a de novo trial. This provision of the original Pilot?s Bill of Rights has not operated as intended.

Subsection c: Expands the protections of the Pilot's Bill of Rights to other certificate holders in the aviation community, such as charter operators or repair stations.

Subsection d: Requires FAA to provide notification to an individual once they become subject to an FAA investigation; if FAA does not provide notification, they cannot press charges.

Subsection e: Limits scope of FAA's document requests of certificate holders to the pertinent issues being investigated.

Subsection f: Reinstates FAA's expungement policy, preventing the agency from retaining records of enforcement against an airmen certificate holder after retaining it for 5 years. Also prohibits the retention of records beyond 90 days if the agency does not take enforcement action. Further prevents the FAA from publicizing pending enforcement actions against a covered certificate holder.

Section 7 Prohibit enforcement of NOTAM violations if FAA has not finished its NOTAM improvement program by the end of the year.

Section 8 Requires contract towers and other outsourced FAA programs to be subject to FOIA requests.

Section 9 Provides civil liability protection to aviation medical examiners and other FAA reps, treating them as government employees as the proscribed duties are carried out.

http://govt.eaa.org/17422/support-pilots-bill-rights-2/

Use this link to contact your representatives. Write regularly Just plug in your zip code and modify the letter to suit your tastes.

-Cub Builder
    Last edited by Hal Bryan; 02-27-2015 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Fixed Link.

Looks like it hasn't made its way from the Clerk's office to the website yet, but a pre-filing version (final text, sans bill number) is attached. Check back next week on Congress.gov for the "official" version. The bill numbers are S. 571 and H.R. 1062.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom Charpentier
    Government Relations Director
    EAA Lifetime #1082006 | Vintage #722921

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Charpentier View Post
    Looks like it hasn't made its way from the Clerk's office to the website yet, but a pre-filing version (final text, sans bill number) is attached. Check back next week on Congress.gov for the "official" version. The bill numbers are S. 571 and H.R. 1062.

Tom C, Sean and EAA- thank you!

ted

It appears the Legislators have gotten busy. There are at least four Bills introduced to reform the 3rd class Medical.

There is a pair of Bills called PBOR2 (S.571 and H.R. 1062) introduced by Sen. Inhofe and Rep. Graves.

And there is what appears to be a pair of Bills (S.573 and H.R. 1086) introduced by Sen. Inhofe and Rep. Rokita whose titles are

To direct the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration to issue or revise regulations with respect to the medical certification of certain small aircraft pilots, and for other purposes.

In checking on the existing proposed rule, it has still not left DOT for OMB although the notoriously inaccurate DOT forecast said it was supposed to go over on 27 Feb. My cynical prediction is that when DOT releases their March Rulemaking status, it will kick the can a month and say that it will be scheduled to go over on 27 March.

I have just heard a presentation by an informed source and as for as the request to use a drivers license as well as self certifying in place of a 3rd class medical, the info was that the FAA was proceeding with the proposal, but that it was being blocked or resisted by the new head of the Department of Transportation. I don't have more details, but I think the DOT man or person is a new appointee, not sure about that or their background or biases.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    I have just heard a presentation by an informed source and as for as the request to use a drivers license as well as self certifying in place of a 3rd class medical, the info was that the FAA was proceeding with the proposal, but that it was being blocked or resisted by the new head of the Department of Transportation. I don't have more details, but I think the DOT man or person is a new appointee, not sure about that or their background or biases.
    Don't know what counts as "New", but the DOT web page indicates the current Secretary of Transportation has been there for over eighteen months.

http://www.dot.gov/key-officials

Ron Wanttaja

I have put the Eaa link on every forum I know of and to my non flying friends on facebook. So far, I know I've had about ten people do as I asked and write their representatives in support of the Bill. I ask that everyone on this forum do the same. Then report back here and let's see how much momentum we can create within our sphere of influences. If we all do this, it can have a major impact and we can get this through and eliminate the third class medical once and for all.

PBOR 2 text

Tom, Assuming the proposed PBOR-2 is enacted, what is EAA's position concerning how new or revised regulations implementing Sec. 2 should affect current Sport Pilots? I would suggest that any SEL Sport Pilot should also have at least daylight VFR privileges in larger, faster "covered aircraft", as defined, without further qualification (and the option to pursue night and IFR qualification if desired.) For daylight VFR activity, there is no relevant difference between required training and PTS for SEL Sport Pilots and PPL's even now.

Ron
    Last edited by rshannon; 03-06-2015 at 01:22 AM.