Thread: Glasair FT II, 60% complete for sale due to death of builder ASKING $30,000

Glasair FT II, 60% complete for sale due to death of builder ASKING $30,000

I don’t know how to delete this thread, but the project was sold in 2015.

Untimely death of builder makes available this mostly complete Glasair II kit #2047 with Lycoming O 360 engine, 0 time since overhaul and conversion to 200 HP fuel injection. Parts complete except for avonics. Over 2200 man hours invested and $54,000. Builder was master craftsman and it shows in this project. Can be seen in Fort Worth, TX

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tina; 02-03-2018 at 09:13 PM.

Tina, I am sorry for your loss, as are many in this community. I looked at all the photos you have posted and was amazed at the accuracy with which records were kept and the construction of the kit is, as you say, done by a truly diciplined craftsman. I tenderly wanted to offer some words of advice. First if some builder was considering this as their future aircraft it is of course a great place to start. There will be some regulatory issues to consider as a prospective purchaser considers how to comply with the FAA's 50% rule. Secondly, and this will be the hardest to understand, that is, monies invested hardly ever relate to the current value of a kit. I would anticipate that the kit sells but history has cautioned me to understand that those sales are usually at a fire sale price. Do not be too upset if interested parties offer you substantially less than what you are asking. It is not to offend, it is what the market will bear... Best to you as you manage the unfortunate events of life. ProwlerD

Quote Originally Posted by ProwlerD View Post
    There will be some regulatory issues to consider as a prospective purchaser considers how to comply with the FAA's 50% rule.
    There are no regulatory issues. This kit is well within the FAA's "approved kit" range, meaning that any airplane built from this kit (by however many people, which is immaterial) for education and recreation will be able to get an Experimental Amateur Built Airworthiness Certificate. There are tons of Glasairs out there with E/AB AC's.

With respect to the Repairman's Certificate, there is no rule regarding how much of an airplane one must have built in order to get the RC - all one has to do is show knowledge of the plane, and ensure that no one already has the RC (which in this case is easy, since the plane has never been registered). If the purchaser finishes the plane, knows it well, and applies for the RC, they'll get it.

So no buyer should be concerned about any regulatory issues surrounding this aircraft. It can be finished, registered, and an RC obtained to allow the buyer to sign off their own Condition Inspections.

Marc is right about the registration and repairman cert points. Anyone who has priced a rebuilt engine and an airframe quickbuild kit knows the asking price is dirt cheap if the workmanship is airworthy quality and it's been stored properly. From this distance, looks like it is. Best wishes for a quick match with the right buyer.

I agree there are no reg issues. This is a great project and opportunity for anyone looking for that type of airplane.

$30k? Definitely a fair asking price. Might take a few months of advertising to find an interested buyer.

Thanks for all of your feedback and support. Needless to say, this is definitely a leaning experience for me.

Hey, Thanks guys for correcting my perceptions regarding the Repairmans Cert and other issues. I hope this kit finds a good home, ProwlerD

Is this still for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowhammer View Post
    Is this still for sale?
    Yellow, it is no longer for sale. A friend and I bought the kit from Tina shortly after the listing, and the plane finally flew today!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    Yellow, it is no longer for sale. A friend and I bought the kit from Tina shortly after the listing, and the plane finally flew today!
    Well that deserves it's own topic for discussion! With pictures!!! What a great accomplishment!