Thread: Pieces and parts

Pieces and parts

Howdy all,
    I want to build a Zenith 701/750 and have purchased a set of 701 plans. I have started the process of buying pieces and parts for the aircraft but have opportunities to buy whole assemblies (ie. empannage, fuselage, wings, etc) separately and assemble them into a complete aircraft. What issues will I run into when I finish it and try to register it? Will a builder's log of me assembling the pieces and parts suffice?

Any info would be apprciated,

Jim
    -Jim

Quote Originally Posted by wildhorsesracing View Post
    Howdy all,
    I want to build a Zenith 701/750 and have purchased a set of 701 plans. I have started the process of buying pieces and parts for the aircraft but have opportunities to buy whole assemblies (ie. empannage, fuselage, wings, etc) separately and assemble them into a complete aircraft. What issues will I run into when I finish it and try to register it? Will a builder's log of me assembling the pieces and parts suffice?

Any info would be apprciated,
    As long as you can show those "whole assemblies" were fabricated and assembled by persons who undertook the construction project solely for their own education or recreation, I don't see that it will be any problem.

There is nothing that says a single individual has to fabricate and assemble 51% of a homebuilt. As long as those parts are not supplied by a professional builder for something other than education or recreation, like cash, the end product should be considered an amateur built aircraft.

What if I buy the pieces from an estate where they can't find any logbooks?
    -Jim

In the end, you'll have to go down the advisory circular checklist with a DAR/FAA and determine that the major portion was fabricated and assembled by persons for education or recreation. If there's too much prefabrication, amateur built registration will be in jeopardy.

As previously stated, this comes down to whether 51% or more of the aircraft was amateur built, not whether you built 51% of the parts. As "proof" that the aircraft is amateur built, you will be signing a notarized Affidavit (form 8050-88) stating that more than 50% of the described aircraft was built from a kit and that you are the owner. Additionally, with a kitted plane like the CH-701 or 750, you will need to show a bill of sale from the kit manufacturer. If you are comfortable with signing a statement that you know these parts were amateur built, and Zenith will give you a bill of sale, then you shouldn't have an issue with getting an airworthiness. It might be worth a call and conversation with the good folks at Zenith to clarify that they will furnish you with a Bill of sale. If they originally sold the materials to someone and you have a set of plans, I doubt they would have a problem with doing so. The rules really are not designed to hinder the sale of amateur built parts between builders, so much as to hinder factories producing aircraft that claim to be amateur built.

Not related to the Airworthiness, but worth noting: Make sure you get some photos of you working on the unfinished project. Many DARs will want to see your smiling face with an unfinished aircraft before signing a letter to the FSDO stating that they know this to be your construction. Many FSDOs now require a letter from the DAR or an Airworthiness Inspector stating that they know you did the construction and are knowledgeable about the aircraft before issuing a Repairman Certificate.

-Cub Builder

Quote Originally Posted by wildhorsesracing View Post
    What if I buy the pieces from an estate where they can't find any logbooks?
    Have the executor of the estate write a letter that the parts were constructed by the deceased and that the construction logs have been lost. Get it notarized and that should be all you need.

Be sure the assemblies you buy are compatible with each other. There are several versions of each aircraft and the seller, particularly an estate, may not even know for sure if it is a 701 or a. 750.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommuller2000 View Post
    Be sure the assemblies you buy are compatible with each other. There are several versions of each aircraft and the seller, particularly an estate, may not even know for sure if it is a 701 or a. 750.
    Good point!
    -Jim