Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint removal on magnesium?

Paint removal on magnesium?

Just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for chemical paint removal on a magnesium part? I don't want to use any kind of media blast as the unpainted portions are supposed to be semi polished.
    Thanks

I don't have a recommendation. My experience is that most paint strippers tend to etch or oxidize magnesium. It looks dull grey after stripped.

That is what I was afraid of. I know some of the "Aircraft" paint strippers are safe for aluminum but not so much for magnesium. From what I have seen though, any kind of blasting media is worse. I may be in for a lot of hours & some elbow grease.

Any alkaline based chemical paint stripper should be safe to use. Turco 6813 is one of the better performing alkaline strippers and depending on type of coating being removed, may take slightly more patience than methylene chloride strippers. Also somewhat more expensive than methylene chloride strippers. Another option is hydrogen peroxide based chemical paint strippers. Acid based paint strippers may etch the surface but paint shops use it all the time.

Thanks Marty. Restoring magnesium parts is a new one for me. One thing I know - I will try it on a spot that won't show when assembled first.

I'd avoid chemical treatments unless you are sure they won't induce any tendency for stress corrosion cracking. I'd go with a blast process using a soft medium like walnut shell and then clean blasted surface with acetone.

Bob, do you think walnut shells would not pit the magnesium? I have seen some indy car mag wheels that were soda blasted & they looked terrible afterwards, that was why I was leaning toward chemical stripping.

What are you working on?

Well, it isn't entirely aviation related (although any profits will support my homebuilding efforts) - It is a set of original rims off a Jensen Healey. Not real common & I sure don't want to ruin them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    Bob, do you think walnut shells would not pit the magnesium? I have seen some indy car mag wheels that were soda blasted & they looked terrible afterwards, that was why I was leaning toward chemical stripping.

Google to the rescue.

http://stevekouracos.com/restoration...l-restoration/