Thread: E6-B Recommendation

E6-B Recommendation

Anyone have a recommendation on a good E6-B flight computer? Someone told me they bought the largest one they could find that had basically all the instructions written on it. They said it helped on the written. I would like preferably a metal one that will last. I looked online and there seems to be a million options out there. Are they all basically the same or is there a certain one I should go for?

Thanks,
    Dave

I bought the smallest metal one to make it easier to carry... I haven't used it since my checkride, almost 40 years ago.

I also bought the smallest metal one, some 43 years ago. I still have it, and I still occasionally use it. I also have an E6b on my watch, which I use occasionally, but only on the ground because of the size of the print. But admittedly, with Foreflight and the amount of information that is available on it, as well as other smartphone apps with flight planning capabilities including all normal E6b functions, I don't use either of them nearly as much as formerly.

But if you do want a long lasting old-fashioned E6b, I'd recommend a pocket-sized one made of aluminum. ASA makes a good one, and there are others. The pocket size is handy and completely adequate for every use. If your eyes can't handle the size of the print on it, you probably can't pass the eye test anyway!

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Word of warning; If you buy an electronic E6B, makes sure the batteries are good, before you head in to take the written. (Fortunately I had the old standby with me, also. Took me a little while to remember how it all worked....)

I have two one aluminum and one fiber board, they are both about the same size about 9"x 4.5". I actually use the fiber one more as it is easy to move the ring with one hand, the aluminum one is very stiff more use would loosen it up but I don't use them much. Accuracy is relative to your flying, If you fly day VFR with only a compass, as I do, then "minute of city" is close enough. Fly at night and you will want to be more accurate,(some farms have enough lights to look like a city), batteries will never fail on a manual E6B. Just keep in mind the type of flying you will be doing, gadgetry for the cockpit can add up in cost quickly and there is an upkeep cost on any electronic device, if nothing more the batteries.

don't waste your money on an electric one, get a good metal one,
    1. you can actually go faster with the old wiz wheel.
    2. if you find yourself without electricity or batteries you still have something that works

you may never use it after your check ride but if the gps goes out you will be glad to have it with you

I have an ASA CX2 which sat around here for no other purpose than taking written tests. On the rare occasions I need something in flight, I have a little iphone app