Thread: Lancaster bomber in canada

Lancaster bomber in canada

Does anyone have an update on the happenings for Lancaster KB 882 which is a whole airplane, but not in flyable condition after sitting outside at Edmundston Municipal Airport for 50 years?

Banned
    Nothing of significance happening. A group in Edmunston has been trying to raise significant funds without much success, so that a hangar can be built to house it for a restoration start. A group in Windsor, Ontario, which has their own Lanc in the beginnings of restoration for the last few years, has said they want to transport it to Windsor for cannibalization of parts so that at least one Lanc can be fully restored.

There are only 2 flying Lancs in the world--in Hamilton, Ontario at Canadian Warplane Heritage Foundation and in England owned by the RAF. This past summer they flew together on a tour in the UK and it was quite a sight to see.

For Lancaster fans, check out this hour-long TV program of the ceremonies remembering the 70th anniversary of the "Dambusters" raid:

Some history, interviews with surviving crew, and stirring brass-band music. Highlight is when the the Lancaster lands, and taxis up to the crowd between a guard of honor of Spitfires plus Tornado aircraft of the CURRENT 617 Squadron, as the band plays the music from the movie....
    Name:  lancs.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  49.7 KB

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 02-23-2015 at 08:26 PM.

Floats, An interested pilot in Canada told me that Edmunston was unable to raise funds for a hangar there in that small town. Therefore the govt decreed that the plane be moved somewhere that it could be stored indoors and either preserved or maybe restored to fly.
    He said the govt decision was due last week, thus why I am asking now.

Ron, nice photos. I have the RAF 2015 calendar and the Feb. photo is the B o B Lancaster low over the lake in northern England to recreate the dam raid practice 70 years on. I met and have the signature of one of the original dam buster pilots in my log book. I was offered a ride in the Lanc, but then it had an engine problem and was delayed a day so I was gone by then..I hoped I might get another chance, but it has never worked out. I know Leon Evans who flys the Canadian LANC.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 02-24-2015 at 09:02 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Floats, An interested pilot in Canada told me that Edmunston was unable to raise funds for a hangar there in that small town. Therefore the govt decreed that the plane be moved somewhere that it could be stored indoors and either preserved or maybe restored to fly.
    He said the govt decision was due last week, thus why I am asking now.
    That's all I know and I think that's all anyone knows at present. Governments, local or otherwise, can decree all they want but the problem is money-isn't that always the case-or the lack of it to either build the hangar or to move it elsewhere. All 3 levels of government are not interested in ponying up any amounts. The Edmonston group says it'll cost $500K to have it moved and $700K to build a hangar at the airport. The Windsor group has said they could move it to Windsor for a lot less than $500K.

So far it's a stand still and the Lanc continues to be destroyed by the elements and salt spray off the close-by highway.

Banned
    Just read this morning that the Canadian Lancaster is coming once again to Oshkosh 15.

The Edmunston, New Brunswick, Lancaster is to be moved to the museum at Edmonton, Alberta as soon as they can gather the funds to dismantle it and ship it to Alberta.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hallibagger View Post
    The Edmunston, New Brunswick, Lancaster is to be moved to the museum at Edmonton, Alberta as soon as they can gather the funds to dismantle it and ship it to Alberta.

....and just as soon as the bank gives you the funds you'll be able to buy your dream home!

Finding a home for it is has never been the problem. The problem has always been raising funds for transportation to a destination or building a hangar for it in Edmonston so it can be restored. Such past efforts have so far met with almost zero interest from the public, organizations and various levels of government.

Nobody to date wants to finance the exercise. It needs a white night to the rescue before it becomes a rusted out relic.j

Banned
    The story you provided does not speak to the only outstanding issue which I'll reiterate once again is the RAiSING OF FINANCING for the move, storage and/or restoration.