Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wing rack design needed for two wings

The link to Tony Bingelis article showing a good mobile wing stand. This is what I built and use. http://spirit.eaa.org/apps/magazines...1987_12_12.pdf

storage

Quote Originally Posted by Avi8r61 View Post
    The link to Tony Bingelis article showing a good mobile wing stand. This is what I built and use. http://spirit.eaa.org/apps/magazines...1987_12_12.pdf
    next up...

Build a shed to store your big azz wing rack when it's not in use...
    Gotta Fly...

There are lots of wing rack designs, I used a design from the EAA. I like the type using a sling made from carpet. If you go to Home Depot/Lowes you can buy carpet by the foot. One foot of carpet, 12 feet long will give you plenty of material for a sling and it's very cheap. If you have used carpet, make sure it hasn't been used for anything that will contaminate it with chemicals or gritty dirt that might damage the wings. When you fabricate the rack, assemble the major components with screws so you can take it apart for easy storage when it's not in use.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I built a similar rack but instead of carpet I used old car tie down straps that I had.

Name:  s701wings.jpg
Views: 1777
Size:  69.6 KB

Name:  s701 004.jpg
Views: 1828
Size:  92.1 KB
    -Jim

The best part of having a wing stand is the opportunity to put the wings anywhere you want. If you run out of room in the shop you can always put them say, in the livingroom. I think the color of the unfinished wings really work here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tralika View Post
    The best part of having a wing stand is the opportunity to put the wings anywhere you want. If you run out of room in the shop you can always put them say, in the livingroom. I think the color of the unfinished wings really work here.
    I would agree, they blend with the decor quite nicely! (but my wife says... NO!)
    -Jim

What are or how did you make the wing tip nav light part?

Rob Hancik

Wing Rack

OK... I finally took pictures of the Wing rack I use... I have had TWO full size wing "SETS" on this SIMPLE , mobile Wing Rack... and it doesn't take up half the Garage while not in use...

I added the picture where I had TWO SETS of wings on it.. PLUS Plywood and a 4X8 sheet of Lexan and other Miscellaneous long things.

OK... I flipped and flopped it around to give you an idea how it was made...
    It's all that's needed... Unless you just like spending a lot of time making the big wooden ones...

and have plenty of room to store them...
    Gotta Fly...

PS Either the pictures loaded wrong... Or that DOG can walk up a CLIFF...
    Name:  IMG_2342.jpg
Views: 1725
Size:  75.6 KBName:  IMG_2343.jpg
Views: 1713
Size:  76.2 KBName:  IMG_2344.jpg
Views: 1702
Size:  83.1 KBName:  IMG_2345.jpg
Views: 1739
Size:  67.0 KBName:  Mounting Wings 02.jpg
Views: 1753
Size:  53.6 KBName:  Root Ribs 004.jpg
Views: 1720
Size:  46.9 KBName:  Windscreen Tubing 008.jpg
Views: 1725
Size:  49.5 KB
    Last edited by planecrazzzy; 03-14-2015 at 12:37 PM.

Thanks for all the great help. I wound up following the EAA design; modified for my wing. so it's a little longer and a bit taller. It sure is nice to be able to move the wings out onto the driveway with no effort at all. Now, to get the fuselage ready for paint.

Marty
    Name:  rack 1.jpg
Views: 2460
Size:  88.7 KB Name:  rack 2.jpg
Views: 1906
Size:  93.3 KB

I use my Wing rack when I need better access to the wings... But lately , I've been working on other areas...

So a Handy place to keep them is on the ceiling... I can get them down , or put them up by myself pretty easy...
    They are safely out of the way...