Thread: Draft Small Drone Rule published, FAA seeking Comments

Draft Small Drone Rule published, FAA seeking Comments

The FAA published the draft Rule for small (<55lbs) drones for commercial use today. Not much impact to Amatuer/Hobby use (by my read).

There is a two page summary here.

The comment period should open shortly.

No Medical required for Commercial Drone Operators...perhaps we could leverage this for Third Class Med Reform.
    Last edited by TedK; 02-15-2015 at 06:22 PM.

I've read the Part 107 NPRM, the NPRM with economic impact study, FAA order 8130.34C, and some of the waivers. I'm surprised how progressive the NPRM is insomuch as the lowering of requirements compared to the FAA order. Here is how it roughly brakes down:

• FAA order 8130.34C: Commercial Pilot, class II medical, A&P maintenance, experimental airworthiness cert.
    • Typical 333 waiver: Private Pilot, class III medical, accepted MX program, experimental airworthiness cert.
    • Part 107 NPRM: Written exam only, no medical, PIC pre-flight for airworthiness, airworthiness cert.

I find it hard to believe that a 253 lbs Part 103 ultralight is not an aircraft and therefore has no N-number while a <55 lbs drone is an aircraft. Also, turning UAS pilots loose that are potentially completely un-indoctrinated into aviation solely on the basis of passing a written exam seems a bit reckless. I'd like to see a CFI or GI sign aspiring UAS drivers off prior to taking the exam.

One last thought on the hobby or recreation exemption: I would like to see this expanded to include educational purposes at the primary and secondary school levels. Model aviation could be an excellent addition to STEM programs!

Thoughts?

The comment period has opened for this and is open till 24 April. Comments can be posted (and viewed) at:

http://www.regulations.gov/#!documen...2015-0150-0017

I am very concerned because there is no prohibition about flying commercial drones (up to 55 lbs) near most non-towered GA airports. See the table on page 55 and 56 in the NPRM.

WHAT IS EAA's POSITION? And is EAA responding the the NPRM?

ted
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TedK; 02-23-2015 at 09:55 PM. Reason: overcoming autocorrect