Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Things I've learned about building....

I feel your pain...I just rebuilt my whole spar box, because one rivet line didn't leave enough supporting material. When these things happen, I just chalk up the time and money lost to "educational expenses." The good thing is I almost have enough bad parts collecting from my build to make a second, really crappy Sonex for static display in my front yard...

I am approaching the end of my 3rd year on my Pietenpol project. Still a long way to go, but I have accomplished (and learned) a lot too. I had taken pride in the fact that my scrap pile was really small after more than 2 years... almost non-existent, but that was mostly woodwork. As I get into metalworking I am finding it a bit more difficult to master. Cutting and shaping parts aren't much of a problem... the welding is killing me. I've scrapped 2 sets of center section fittings and I am now working on a 3rd. Scrapping the first set was a hard pill to swallow, but I knew it was the right thing to do. The second set was going to be better, and they were, but still not satisfied... oh well, the expense was minimal... grab some material and try again. Will this set be better? Almost certainly. Will they be the ones I bolt to the airplane? I hope so!

I understand the "Swiss watch" analogy, and I'm certainly not overly concerned with pretty, but where structural integrity is a concern it's best to make sure it's done right. I'll have no problem scrapping the 3rd set if I screw them up. Hey, the fabricating time is getting shorter! I'm about ready to go into production on these things! LOL!

So, what is my point? Basically the same as others... I've learned something during each attempt that helps to make the next part better. I really thing that my welding skill is improving, and hopefully the parts I'm making now will be satisfactory.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMorden View Post
    I feel your pain...I just rebuilt my whole spar box, because one rivet line didn't leave enough supporting material. When these things happen, I just chalk up the time and money lost to "educational expenses." The good thing is I almost have enough bad parts collecting from my build to make a second, really crappy Sonex for static display in my front yard...
    My father in law keeps reminding me we build one and throw away the other....
    Robbie Culver
    Sonex #1517
    Taildragger
    AeroVee
    Currently working on the wings
    Chicagoland