Thread: New Panel

New Panel

Hey everyone,
    I posted about my KR-2 last month and I need some advise.
    I took out the existing panel from the aircraft, and I'm looking to use it as a guide for my new panel.
    So, I'm going to the hardware store today to pick up a router and some bits, but I need advise on how to use that router to cut out a new panel using the old panel's dimensions.
    I saw the EAA video on youtube, using two formed wood blocks and then sandwiching the metal in between, I don't have that, I only have a single piece of aluminum that I'm cutting from. What is the best way to doing that?
    The existing panel has the right size holes I need for the instruments, but I feel that I may need to hand cut out the transponder cutout, since the old panel does not have a spot for it.
    Thanks for the advise!
    Trevor W. Norman
    T. Norm Air

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Norman View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I posted about my KR-2 last month and I need some advise.
    I took out the existing panel from the aircraft, and I'm looking to use it as a guide for my new panel.
    So, I'm going to the hardware store today to pick up a router and some bits, but I need advise on how to use that router to cut out a new panel using the old panel's dimensions.
    I saw the EAA video on youtube, using two formed wood blocks and then sandwiching the metal in between, I don't have that, I only have a single piece of aluminum that I'm cutting from. What is the best way to doing that?
    The existing panel has the right size holes I need for the instruments, but I feel that I may need to hand cut out the transponder cutout, since the old panel does not have a spot for it.
    Thanks for the advise!
    A router might not be the best tool for the job. To cut the 3-1/8" and 2-14" instrument holes, traditional builders use hole saws, a version of the Greenlee punch or the 'dreaded' fly cutter. I've seen a new generation high tech guy cut a panel with a CNC router and it was like magic. If you use a router you'll need some kind of guide to get decent holes. If you can freehand a 3-1/8" hole with a router, you have a lot more skill than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Norman View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I only have a single piece of aluminum that I'm cutting from. What is the best way to doing that?
    As mentioned by MM, the GreenLee punches are really the way to go on this and make very clean holes. Not inexpensive as the 2 1/2" punch is >$100 and the 3 1/8" punch is >$300. However, you should be able to find someone in your local EAA Chapter or a local A&P that will loan you the punches for a day. You'll likely need to hand cut the rectangular holes for the transponder, master switch and other rectangular holes. That can be done with a Dremel and file. Just be aware that the Dremel grinding blades can load up with Aluminum causing them to fail (quite literally fly apart), so wear your safety glasses/goggles/face shield. I built a new panel for my KR 2 years ago if you want to look at a sample.
    http://jeffsplanes.com/KR/2013_Panel.html

-Cub Builder

Cub Builder, I tried twice to go to your site, but I got this message both times: Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at jeffsplanes.com.

That happens sometimes. It's a free server with advertising unless you have adblocker to block the advertising overlays, so some ISPs block it. You can use a free proxy server to access it. Go to http://free-proxyserver.com/ and enter jeffsplanes.com. That should get you there.

BTW, on the subject of new panels, another good option is to cut it with a waterjet if that is available. That will also do a very nice job. Also, newer CNC plasma cutter with the right gas selection can do a nice job cutting out an aluminum panel.

-Cub Builder