Thread: Preceptor N3 Pup

Preceptor N3 Pup

Hello,
    First post, sorry if this is a stupid question or has already been covered.

I'm interested in building the Preceptor N3 Pup as an ultralight, the Preceptor website specs that it is designed for a 35 HP engine for it but I think it might be weak. They do state that you can run a 45 HP engine which might work but might be too heavy to stay in the UL catagory. My main concern is that I live in Utah at around 4500 ft and in the summer DA can get up in the 9000 ft range and performance could suffer. Can anybody weigh in on if I could safely operate this UL here in Utah. Oh, by the way, I will not be doing any mountain flying. I live in Norther Utah near the West desert.

http://www.preceptorair.com/about_us.html

Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post
    Hello,
    First post, sorry if this is a stupid question or has already been covered.

I'm interested in building the Preceptor N3 Pup as an ultralight, the Preceptor website specs that it is designed for a 35 HP engine for it but I think it might be weak. They do state that you can run a 45 HP engine which might work but might be too heavy to stay in the UL catagory. My main concern is that I live in Utah at around 4500 ft and in the summer DA can get up in the 9000 ft range and performance could suffer. Can anybody weigh in on if I could safely operate this UL here in Utah. Oh, by the way, I will not be doing any mountain flying. I live in Norther Utah near the West desert.

http://www.preceptorair.com/about_us.html
    The website lists the service ceiling as 10,000'. If that is a good number, you probably don't want to go flying on days with a 9,000' DA.

There's no weight gain going to the 45HP 1/2 VW. actually it's a bit lighter due to the cylinders used for the 45. Several fellas running the 45 on Legal Eagles, you might check with them. The right prop makes a world of difference also! ;-)

I got to 10k in Carlson with HKS-700E that weighs 550 lbs empty. Its gross weight is about 920 lbs. That gets you about the same power loading as the 35 hp in a 535 lbs N-3 Pup.

One interesting observation is, aside from how heavy the airplane is, its streamlining makes for a big difference. If you can put good fairlings on everything, you'll climb higher and faster.

That said, you're right not to expect miracles. My home base is at 4800 ft and it's a bit iffy once it gets to 110 F. Fly in the mornings!

So in doing a bunch of research on this, I have found a possible solution. Preceptor specs a Mosler 40 hp engine, weighing 86 lbs. Compact Radial Engines makes the MZ202 which puts out 60 hp and weights 87 lbs. 20 hp for a one pound gain sounds like a viable option but I need to do a little more research. I sent an email to Preceptor Aircraft to see what their thoughts on using the MZ202 are. I prefer the sound of the four stroke but you can't beat the power to weight ratio of the two strokes.

how is this a legal ultralight?

Quote Originally Posted by aeroschmitz View Post
    how is this a legal ultralight?

It depends on what country one lives. IN the USA no, but other parts of the world they view an Ultralight a little different then we do here in the USA.

the basic kit is legal for a US ultralight, right?!

Yes, it is, McNulty, for about $18K, you get everything but the color coat of paint in the kit. Power is from a Hummel 1/2 VW conversion (included in the kit). If you don't load her up with toys, she should stay below 254 pounds and be Part 103 compliant.