Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sport Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    Byron, I'm hard pressed to agree with you about the Feb '15 issue. So many rich pickings since well you know. But didn't you love the multipage advertisement from the Bahamian Ministry of Tourism in a previous issue? Very similar to "FLYING" or "AOPA Pilot" or "Plane and Pilot", almost on a par with the AAA magazine and no ads for booking a cruise or long term care insurance. Reckon that's why the esteemed editor thought it necessary to include the "Experimental in EAA" article?
    What do you think pays for publishing this magazine you receive for, more or less, free?

To those complaining about Sport Aviation content.....have I seen YOUR article in the magazine? EAA actively solicits input, and diversity of authors is a good thing!

No, I am not without sin, mine either :-)

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Rosenow; 02-05-2015 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rosenow View Post
    To those complaining about Sport Aviation content.....have I seen YOUR article in the magazine? EAA actively solicits input, and diversity of authors is a good thing!

No, I am not without sin, mine either :-)

Jim
    Haven't seen either of the two I submitted, Jim. Not even acknowledgments of receipt. Oh, maybe that's what happened! Lost in the mail/email. Gosh.
    Last edited by Mike M; 02-05-2015 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by krw920 View Post
    What do you think pays for publishing this magazine you receive for, more or less, free?
    You did understand the "ad" I referred to stretched from page 46 through 52 inclusive, full pages, of the Dec 2014 issue - right? And you looked it up?
    Last edited by Mike M; 02-05-2015 at 02:10 PM.

Haven't seen either of the two I submitted, Jim. Not even acknowledgments of receipt. Oh, maybe that's what happened! Lost in the mail/email. Gosh.
    Can't speak to the 'lacka', but I thank you sincerely for submitting them!

Jim

Doesn't the "editor" decide what to publish?

I'd be interested in seeing what you have to say Cdr. M.

Suppose I'll renew my membership in a few more months.

You did understand the "ad" I referred to stretched from page 46 through 52 inclusive, full pages, of the Dec 2014 issue - right? And you looked it up?
    No, didn't look it up, but again, what do you think pays for your free magazine?

I finally got around to cracking open my February issue and must say I'm at a loss as to why anyone would find fault with the subject matter.

If anything it's a throw-away piece that could have been written by any member of the EAA writing staff with a short deadline and at a loss to what they should write about. "I know, a 'how we got here' one talking about ATC's, airspace development, transponders, and finally ADSB, I can whip that out in a couple hours! Whew, that's one the editor will say is okay for publication!" Mac is such a good writer that he pulled it off in an engaging, readable style that one can't deny is his forte.

I've disagreed with some of the stances Mac has taken towards experimental aircraft in particular and aviation in general, particularly in his early blog articles, but he's really come to understand his readership and tailor his articles to better match it. His perspective towards aviation is just different from most of the hardcore EAA membership - we tend to use adjectives with flying such as "fun" and "optional" while he's more prone to say "useful" and "required."

This is a good thing. I need the perspective from the IFR twin engine gizmo pilot (er, aviator) for both of our safety, as I'm as far from that as one can get and still be a pilot. I'd hazard to say it's probably been awhile since Mac flew a rectangular pattern to land at an uncontrolled airfield - then again, it's been a long time since I did a straight in approach to land as well. It's not enough just to hear on the radio when a Mac type interlopes into the realm of the UNICOM airfield; it's important to understand his frame of reference when he'll be sharing my airspace. Thanks to Mac, I know he'll be looking as much to a screen for my location as he will be looking out the window, and I'll probably need to be very descriptive of my plane and my location for him (since I won't be visible to his magic box). Since Mac has been slumming with us regular ol' pilots, he's been reminded that the skies are shared with pilots with hand held radios and no transponder of any kind flying tight rectangles around the field. We both win.

Besides, shooting at Mac is the wrong target. Editors assign article topics. Sure they listen to what their writers want to write about and take into consideration their viewpoints (as well as strenghts and weaknesses), but at the end of the day it's the editor that decides if an article passes muster and should be included in the magazine.

I will also say that if one is an EAA member because of SportAviation they've missed the point and main goals of the organization.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

CDR M- I can't account for EAA's lack of acknowledgement of your articles, but since you have admitted to being a scrivener (as opposed to us mere ranters), why don't you post your articles here and perhaps you will find a following that will advocate on your behalf?

Standing by for that post. Reading glasses on!

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by krw920 View Post
    No, didn't look it up, but again, what do you think pays for your free magazine?
    Go read it. You might understand.

"Standing by for that post. Reading glasses on!

Ted"

I didn't make a paper copy of my submissions and the hard drive in the XP computer died about three years ago. Ted, I did have USB stick copies of the powerpoints which were composed contemporaneously with the articles. If you'd like I'll email them to you.
    Last edited by Mike M; 02-07-2015 at 06:20 PM.