Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Sport Aviation

Well, my copy finally showed up. I liked the article by Dick VanGrunsven, and Charlie Becker's little tip about the Tig Fingers. (Added that to my tool wish list)

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by TedK View Post
    LOL! I guess at my late 50s, I too am a youngster here and should be more respectful of my elders. ;-)
    OK you youngesters, shape up! We old farts, er, gentlemen deserve, er, want all the respect that we can get.

BJC

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    Frank: I know that at 57 years of age, I am younger than most of the people posting here. However, I have been a member of AOPA and subscribed to Flying for more than 30 years. Therefore I know where Mac and Lane came from.
    I'm 49, but came to aviation very late. So I never read Flying when either wrote there. Heck, I don't read other aviation magazines now - it's all gizmoes and planes that are downright affordable at only $175,000 each (hell, put me down for two of them at that price!). Well, other than Kitplanes, that is, and usually get glassy eyed over its content.

So my exposure to Mac's writing is from SA and his blog. The funny thing is I delved into his blog stuff because of his casting as the villian of EAA; I wanted to see what the fuss was about. I must admit that I've often felt like one of the Little Rascals being invited into the rich kid's house reading his stuff and have had to note that I'm fond of reverse snobbery. And more than once I fired back in the comment section of his blog with vehement (if hopefully polite) disagreement.

Ted: Over the past few decades, people have asked me why I don't want to build my own plane. I respond that I would never fly an airplane that I had built. I am living proof that mechanical aptitude and mechanical ability are two entirely different things.
    Bah. I have neither and that is no bar to aircraft construction! Bigger question: would I let someone else fly an aircraft I had built? That, to me, is the higher standard I strive for.

Hmmm, it would be interesting to string some prose and see if SportAviation would take a pull at it. I'll have to come up with some hook for it and see if they'd take the bait.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Hmmm, it would be interesting to string some prose and see if SportAviation would take a pull at it. I'll have to come up with some hook for it and see if they'd take the bait.
    With a new editor coming in, it'd be the ideal time for it. The current columnists, etc. will still be there, but the new guy may not otherwise have a "set" of preferred writers established. You can see that at work in KITPLANES on some of the editorial changes... a year later, people like Wainfan and Starks are still writing for the magazine, but there's a whole new batch of people involved.

Another option would be "Experimenter". It's a digital production, true, but they're more into the how-to stuff.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by Byron J. Covey View Post
    OK you youngesters, shape up! We old farts, er, gentlemen deserve, er, want all the respect that we can get.
    And stay off my lawn! :-)

Ron Wanttaja

There was actually a better thread for this posted elsewhere but i can't find it, so...

I got my August Sport Aviation yesterday! It was filled with great information about what to see during AirVenture 2016. Hmmm... Is it just my local post office or was there a delay in getting this issue out?
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

There was actually a better thread for this posted elsewhere but i can't find it, so...

I got my August Sport Aviation yesterday! It was filled with great information about what to see during AirVenture 2016. Hmmm... Is it just my local post office or was there a delay in getting this issue out?

It wasn't just you. Mine arrived last week.

Banned

Mine arrived while I was in Oshkosh. It was waiting for me on the kitchen table when I returned after the week. Glad I didn't have to rely on it. I got all the info I needed prior to departure from the EAA website, which was as usual well organized and fully informative.