Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sport Aviation

Byron J. Covey

Sport Aviation

February, 2015 issue; worst in the history of the EAA.

Eagerly awaiting Mac's departure.

BJC

I guess I am missing your point, how about some specifics before you make a comment like that?
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

I did not get an issue. I went to renew my membership in Jan. and it said I am good until the 28th of Feb. I was going to take care of this this week or the first of Feb. I receive a letter in the mail saying my membership is on hold until I renew or some crap.

So my membership does not expire until feb28th and I get no magazine and they put my membership on hold or some crap until I renew. I may not ever renew. Kinda pi##es me off. I could see if it lapsed but it has not.

So I have no idea what was in this months magazine, and do not tell me to read it on-line. I am old school and like to hold it in my hands.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Byron J. Covey View Post
    February, 2015 issue; worst in the history of the EAA.
    Surely a hilarious exhaggeration if there ever was one.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron J. Covey View Post
    Eagerly awaiting Mac's departure.
    I never understood why members carry this animus. Twin envy?

Anyone cares to argue Mac's aricle on its merits rather than spewing hate? I see how his position of "ADS-B is good, ADS-B is coming, suck it up" may ruffle a few feathers, but I find it remarkable how that little is enough to force people raging. And it's very, very disappointing when those people wants not to argue him, only STFU.

-- Pete

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Tony -

I'm sorry to hear that things got confused. I'll ask our Membership Department to look into this right away.

Best -

Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

To many, Mac represents the tug of war within the EAA membership as to whether it's about low or moderate budget homebuilts or big bucks multi-engined factory aircraft. Some won't be happy until he's gone. Not trying to open that can of worms as it has already been discussed ad nauseam.

This month's article was a history lesson of how we got to where we are. Although I already knew much of what he wrote, I like history and thought the article was good and timely with the push for ADS-B. The rest of this month's SA was on par with what has been produced recently.

Tony, you were singled out to squeeze more cash out of you. They know you're holding out on them. Now cough up that lifetime membership...

-Cub Builder

As Cub Builder wrote, The article was a history lesson and a reminder that we will all have to buy-in if we want to keep flying. Rather than convincing me it was a good idea, however, it presented the development of our ATC system as completely reactionary to media frenzy and the political drive to DO SOMETHING rather than a comprehensive strategy -- or at least a rational problem solving process. Unfortunately, this has been precisely the process of ATC development up until this point. The FAA did try to change that with Next-Gen. It was originally portrayed as a vision of how air operations could be run more efficiently, less obtrusively, and with greater freedom of navigation. Somehow that did not happen and we are left with ADS-B. I have few complaints about ADS-B, but Mac's description of how we got here and its value leave me underwhelmed. If all I knew about it was what was included in the article, I would join the ranks of those opposed to its implementation.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Prairie Cottage Airport, 8KS8, Chapman KS
    Saw this initial post and immediately went to the online version and read it. Then I went back and reviewed it sure that I must have missed some outlandish, insulting or downright un-American comment to support this lashing. Finding none I sat back and what came to mind was the old pilot joke punch line, "Wasn't I married to you once?"
    Jim Clark, Chairman National Biplane Fly In, www.nationalbiplaneflyin.com. Currently flying: 1929 Waco CSO, 1939 Waco EGC-8, 1946 Piper J-3, 1955 Piper PA22/20, 1956 Beech G35, 1984 Beech A36 & 2001 Vans RV9.
    You love a lot of things if you live around them, but there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, nor any before nor any after, that is as lovely as a great airplane, and men who love them are faithful to them even though they leave them for others.
    - Ernest Hemingway

I thought there were some editing issues in the issue. Pelton's column parroted the ADS-B claims Mac made in his blog a while ago "Experimentals have no path forward to ADS-B" or some equivalent nonsense. Then, a few pages later there was a contradictory article. Overall, I thought it was a decent issue.

But I'll be happy when Mac is gone.

Byron, I'm hard pressed to agree with you about the Feb '15 issue. So many rich pickings since well you know. But didn't you love the multipage advertisement from the Bahamian Ministry of Tourism in a previous issue? Very similar to "FLYING" or "AOPA Pilot" or "Plane and Pilot", almost on a par with the AAA magazine and no ads for booking a cruise or long term care insurance. Reckon that's why the esteemed editor thought it necessary to include the "Experimental in EAA" article?