Thread: Warner Scarab JR engine rebuild

Warner Scarab JR engine rebuild

Where would I buy parts, or who rebuilds the Warner Scarab JR 90HP engine?

Thanks
    Kevin.

Contact Brad Ball at the Santa Paula Airport. He specializes in Kinner engines but may know of some Warner shops, if he doesn't handle Warners himself.

Piedmont Aviation in Winston Salem, NC may be worth a call. They had a great guy there some years back, Foy Owens. Have no idea if he is still alive but they did have a couple of guys that worked on Radials. Foy did all the Warner Super Scarabs we had for the various Monocoupes. Never heard my father say a single word against him....and he logged many hours in the D-145 and the Clipwings. Foy was "the man" when if came to Warners around here.

Derswede

I have no personal knowledge, but when I was thinking about a Warner powered airplane, these folks were suggested:

http://www.radialengine.com/home.htm

warner Overhaul

I had a 145 Warner overhauled by Al Holloway, Holloway Engineering, Quincy Calif. I was quite happy with him, knowledgable about old obscure engines.

Hmmm....think I have a set of the Lord mounts for a Warner 185. 5 or so of the rubber mounts. Must look thru old boxes in the garage.....

Derswede

There is a shop at the airport in Bloomington, IL that is supposed to be very good with all kinds of radial engines. I don't remember the name & there isn't a listing on the google map page, but it shouldn't take too much to locate them. The last time I was up there they were just west of where Bloomington Avionics hangars were before they were bought out & moved to Champaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebird View Post
    Where would I buy parts, or who rebuilds the Warner Scarab JR 90HP engine?

Thanks
    Kevin.
    Harmon Dickerson is the Warner Parts guru. Columbus Mo. He's old school so don't look for a web page. Call Al Holloway ( Holloway engineering Quincy Ca.) to get Harmon's contact info.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    I have no personal knowledge, but when I was thinking about a Warner powered airplane, these folks were suggested:

http://www.radialengine.com/home.htm
    The Curry brothers no longer do Warners

Quote Originally Posted by Derswede View Post
    Hmmm....think I have a set of the Lord mounts for a Warner 185. 5 or so of the rubber mounts. Must look thru old boxes in the garage.....

Derswede
    The 165 and the 185 both use the same lord Mount as the 0-300/C-145, you must have the press to drive them after you have sized them to your mount ring.