Thread: A Suggestion

A Suggestion

Guys while I love the online content and being able to read the magazines in digital format it would be wonderful to be able to download them straight to my iPad. I can in the archives of SA which is great but not the current issue. Same way with experimenter which is great as well.

Now I have to download it to the computer and then transfer it over. Lots of unneeded steps.

Thank you

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by KDoersom View Post
    Guys while I love the online content and being able to read the magazines in digital format it would be wonderful to be able to download them straight to my iPad. I can in the archives of SA which is great but not the current issue. Same way with experimenter which is great as well.
    +1
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    There are plans in the works to greatly improve offline access for Sport Aviatioan magazine on tablets and other mobile devices. In the meantime, since the problem is that our digital magazine publishers doesn't display the download link when it detects a mobile browser, there is a workaround of sorts: You can install a different browser such as Skyfire or Atomic Web that lets you specify whether you want to load the full or mobile versions of any site. If you do this, then you’ll simply see the full version as if you were using your regular computer, the download link will appear, and you can load the .PDF directly.

Obviously, you shouldn't have to do this, especially since neither of these apps are free: Skyfire is $4.99 and Atomic is $.99, last I checked. But, as I said, it does provide a workaround in the meantime.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Thanks Hal

I have Skyfire already so I'll try that next time.

Keep up the good work.

Keith

Another iPad ....

+1 Again

Hal

I tried using Skyfire and was able to download the PDF but was not able to transfer it to iBooks or good reader to save it. Any ideas? Again thanks and keep up good work.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Well that's certainly frustrating...! Until very recently, once you'd downloaded the .PDF in either browser, if you tapped it, you could bring up an "Open In" dialog, which would show options like iBooks or other apps that support .PDF. From there, once it was opened, it was either saved automatically or you had a save in/as option. This isn't working that way anymore...

I'll keep digging into it and let you know what I find.

Cheers-

Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Hal that is correct. I'd tap it and that box wouldn't open up. I'll try it again this week sometime.