Thread: Raceair Skylite?

Raceair Skylite?

Any opinions out there on Raceair's Skylite? A friend of mine has a relative who is considering selling his. I've considered the possibility of building an experimental aircraft in the future, but this may be a fun project to work on while finishing my private pilot.

I've only seen photos of it, but it appears to be in pretty good shape. Definitely in need of some updating though. It has a rebuilt Rotax 277 according to the seller, but I don't personally trust anything without a dual ignition system. I'd most likely be looking to replace it with a 28hp Hirth F-33, which is what they are putting in the new ones, or a 36.5hp Polini Thor 250. Both of which are lighter than the Rotax, with the Polini being the lightest of options. Not sure how I feel about the clockwise rotation of the Polini though, but it is also liquid cooled which is a plus. All of the covering appears to be intact, but I'm guessing re-covering would be the way to go. It looks original.

That's all I know about it right now. I need to get some more info. from the seller and go take a peek at it for myself. Any thoughts on this?
    Last edited by Tenfour; 01-28-2015 at 05:24 AM.

I think you should buy it ASAP,'then when you are ready to unload that 277, give me a call!