Thread: Solar Impulse 2 RTW flight - stop-over at Oshkosh possible?

Solar Impulse 2 RTW flight - stop-over at Oshkosh possible?

Assuming the organisers read this forum, or Hal or Zack communicate suggestions to them: I've just received an e-mail outlining the route the solar-powered 'Solar Impulse 2' will be taking on its round-the-world flight. It says they intend to make a stop-over in the Midwest 'dependent on weather conditions'. The timing might still allow for a stop-over during AirVenture.
    I understand that during the visit of 'Solar Impulse 1' to the US in 2013 there was some interest on their part in visiting Oshkosh. Since that project, to my mind at least, epitomises innovation and success in the field of non-fossil-fuel-powered aircraft, perhaps the EAA could invite them to make their Midwest stop-over at Oshkosh during AirVenture?
    www.solarimpulse.com/en/our-adventure/the-first-round-the-world-solar-flight

Roger

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    We'll definitely be reaching out - thanks for the heads-up, Roger!

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

They'll need someplace big enough to set up the temporary hangar they use for the thing. I guess the west ramp could do it. I remember watching them set up that monster at Dulles when it stopped here.