Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KR-2 Buy

Legally, yes, you can use a tablet EFIS for a primary display. Personally, I wouldn't do it without a backup for the most important functions, tablets still lock up occasionally.

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Norman View Post
    Next, I' getting rid of the steam gauges for the existing six-pack and going digital. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, if the aircraft is not a certified aircraft, I can use an EFIS program on a tablet that gives altitude, speed, pitch, and so on to give me my basic VFR pack?
    So this is an interesting question, and brings up a quirk of most E/AB Op-Limits. They do NOT specify what instruments are required for Day VFR flight - in fact, LEGALLY, NO instruments are REQUIRED for Day VFR flight. Read your OL's - they WILL say that you need to conform to 91.205 for Night and/or IFR flight, but they say nothing about what's needed for Day VFR.

Now, on a new build, no DAR in their right mind would give an AC to an E/AB aircraft that had no instruments in the panel and I've never heard of anyone trying it (and they'd probably get you on a 91.13 during a ramp check if they saw no instruments in the panel) if you removed them after approval, but it's an interesting thought experiment.

With respect to your question, then, for Day VFR, sure - the tablet would be legal, since there are no requirements in the OL's. But you said you're installing lights, implying that you want to fly at night. As soon as you do that, you then need to comply with 91.205 and you will then need an ADAHRS (such as the Levil-AW that has pitot/static input) in order to have a real altimeter and airspeed indicator on the tablet display - GPS groundspeed is not sufficient. You will also need some sort of compass or magnetometer (which the Levil-AW has), and a bunch of engine instruments, which the tablet will not support.

So, I think that with the appropriate additional hardware and software, yeah - a tablet EFIS would be legal for night flight. I'd seriously think about a dedicated unit, though - something like the GRT Mini - prices have come WAY down, and it's far less likely to have lag and crap out on you (and you can incorporate a real engine monitor into it as well, which all aircraft flying cross-country should have at this point, given the capabilities and prices). For the price of the Levil-AW and tablet, you can get a nice dedicated unit.

My $0.02.

Thanks for the info. I do not think that I will flying simply during daytime.
    As someone who is new to this whole thing, what goes into a pitot static system? I know you need a pitot tube, and a vent, and some tubing, but will I require a pump of some sorts?
    I have attached a photo of the panel as it sits right now. I intend on making a different one so I can have my personal layout.
    It currently has steam gauges, but I am not sure if the altimeter is with the box of "stuff" that I received, or if I'll need to purchase one from Aircraft Spruce.
    Now, for my next question, how do I develop a panel? I have a transponder, radio, instruments and switches, but how do I make it look professional with its layout, and how do I label everything to make it look good and functional?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Trevor W. Norman
    T. Norm Air

The pitot tube goes to the airspeed indicator. The other connection on the ASI goes to the static source, which may be a port on the side of the aircraft, but is often just left open behind the panel or inside a wing, which may be less accurate but may be good enough. The altimeter and rate of climb also go to the static port (or again, just left open). No pump required. Gyro instruments (like your turn and bank or an artificial horizon or directional gyro), if not electric powered, require suction, which can come from a vacuum pump or from a vacuum venturi on the outside of the aircraft.

How you lay out your panel is personal preference, but generally, flight instruments are grouped together, engine instruments are grouped together, and and radio stuff is together. My plane has the compass on top center, three 3-1/8" gauges (ASI, altimeter, turn&bank, tach) in a row, and four 2" engine instruments (EGT, CHT, oil pressure, oil temp) in a row below that. Fuel gauge is a sight tube on the LH side of the panel. Only one switch (magneto), and a handheld radio on a clip on the RH side of the panel.

Dana

Thanks for the info. I think in that case, I'll just remove the Turn Coordinator, and that should give me enough room to install a panel mounted bracket for my iPad mini or iPhone for a backup Artificial Horizon.
    Below is the photo of what I planned my panel to look like to some degree. It's not really up to scale, but I think it could fit pretty well.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Trevor W. Norman
    T. Norm Air

Don't get too clever, Trevor, or your lil' gal might get too fat to fly. What was her empty weight when she was flying? Ken Rand designed her to weigh about 440 pounds, with a GW of 800 pounds. You should check the weight and balance calculations the original builder performed...you may be back here asking for advice on how to give her the Richard Simmons treatment!

Crusty is correct that there have been more than a few KR's built too heavy to fly, or fly safely. However, many are flying that weigh in the 550-600 lb. empty range. Mine is one--- weighs 600. I have had several flights with 300 lbs of humans & 60 lbs of fuel, with no problem. Climbs 1000 fpm, 100 mph, at that weight. The CG on my KR is very near the aft limit with 2 people & low fuel, but within spec. This is with a 2180cc 75hp engine. If yours has a 1600 or 1800cc engine, you would want that bird to be nearer the 450-500 range.