Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ADS-B and the OSH NOTAM?

No Wes, not dense. I am not the worlds best communicator.

IMO, ADS-B would benefit those "in the merge" to self sequence approaching RIPON. Once you are in the Conga Line, ADS-B provides little benefit. What I have found beta testing ADS-B is that it cues me to airplanes that I have otherwise not been detecting.

And you are correct, those sans Transponder won't show up as an ADS-B track so you still have to spend 99.2% of the time looking out. But it works at a strategic level allowing me to detect airplanes beyond Visual Range and position myself long before I see them.

The other benefit would be to those aircraft that depart OSH for demo flights. It gets busy and the ADS-B provides great SA. Ditto the departure from Osh.

On a VMC day at OSH, what would happen if the VFR arrivals continued to squawk until they reached RIPON? Would that materially impact ATC Secondsry Radar? Where is the radar that services OSH located?
    Last edited by TedK; 01-21-2015 at 07:22 PM.

Not all ADS-B are equal

[QUOTE=WLIU;46818]Well, for the next 5 years not everyone will have mode S and there is some likelihood that the OSH arrival will be filled with non-mode S for some time well beyond 2020.

Mode S transponders provide one of two methods for ADS-B. Mode S transponders are assumed to be the solution for airliner-class aircraft. Universal Access Transceivers (UAT) provide ADS-B service and also provide Flight Information Service Broadcast (FIS-B). They are assumed to be the better solution for GA aircraft. I'm sure the NOTAM is silent on UAT. So strangle your parrot but, unless told otherwise, leave your UAT on.

Al B12

tejasflyer

[QUOTE=Al Burgemeister;46973]
    Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    Well, for the next 5 years not everyone will have mode S and there is some likelihood that the OSH arrival will be filled with non-mode S for some time well beyond 2020.

Mode S transponders provide one of two methods for ADS-B. Mode S transponders are assumed to be the solution for airliner-class aircraft. Universal Access Transceivers (UAT) provide ADS-B service and also provide Flight Information Service Broadcast (FIS-B). They are assumed to be the better solution for GA aircraft. I'm sure the NOTAM is silent on UAT. So strangle your parrot but, unless told otherwise, leave your UAT on.

Al B12
    Bergemeister,
    I have a Garmin 400 WAAS with the GDL-88 installed in my Arrow. The Mode "C" works just fine with it. There is no need to go to the Mode "S". The mode 'S' is just another option to transmit your ADS-B OUT information.

[QUOTE=Al Burgemeister;46973]
    Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    So strangle your parrot but, unless told otherwise, leave your UAT on.

Al B12
    Most UATs use the Transponder as the Control Head (to avoid the cost of an additional control head) so if you strangle the parrot by turning the transponder to off or stby, the UAT follows suit.

I'm sure it varies by equipment, but ADS-B worked great at spotting traffic for us going into/out of OSH last summer, with the transponder off. GDL88 out/ 650 in.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by TedK View Post
    Ok...so the FAA wants everybody to install ADS-B. One of the best features of ADS-B is seeing other traffic. Probably one of the busiest pieces of airspace is around Oshkosh during Airventure, but the NOTAM directs everyone to turn off their transponder in the vicinity of OSH.

But ADS-B doesn't work if Transponders are off!

Shouldn't the OSH NOTAM be changed to leave transponders ON so that we have additional help seeing and avoiding each other?
    Ted and All, WHEN FLYING INTO AIRVENTURE, WE ALL NEED TO HAVE OUR HEADS AND EYES "OUTSIDE" THE COCKPIT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BCAIRPORT View Post
    Ted and All, WHEN FLYING INTO AIRVENTURE, WE ALL NEED TO HAVE OUR HEADS AND EYES "OUTSIDE" THE COCKPIT!!!
    I was waiting to hear this from someone, and I agree for the most part. Our scenario was 2-pilot, one full-time outside, the other sharing duties between guages and outside.

By way of example....On our way out, it was hazy and some light rain around. The ADS-B picked out of flight of 8 or 10 Yaks converging (1 o'clock and 2 miles) and 200' below. I was able to pick them out visually at less than a mile only after the ADS-B alerted. We were climbing, which avoided any potential conflict.

ADS-B dun good! :-) That doesn't mean it, or eyeballs, see everything.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Rosenow; 01-24-2015 at 11:34 AM.

and not just around airventure. about 11,000 midairs over the USA per year, and most of them will never be avoided by ADSB or ATC advisories. not even after 2020.

http://wildlife.faa.gov/downloads/Wi...3-USDA-FAA.pdf

http://www.aopa.org/Pilot-Resources/...e-Strikes#over

Alas it is foolhardy to think that SEE AND AVOID will work any more than reliance on ADS-B alone either.

There have been a number of notable crashes that occurred when see-and-avoid should have been the rule and it failed. You can start with the Grand Canyon crash that was the impetus for setting up the modern ATC system. I personally can say that the day I put the mode S TIS in my plane I departed out on a hazy day from the avionics shop, looking hard into the murk *AND* getting flight following from ATC and the TIS showed a bogie coming right at me that I didn't see and ATC didn't mention. I climbed up 500 in time to see him pass beneath me.

Nope, I'll take everything from four sets of eyeballs looking out the window to ATC to a passive collision avoidance to full up ADS-B.

BC- I appreciate your well meaning tips on aviating and concur generally with your view (pun intended) however, my 45 years of flying have not so damaged my hearing that I need to be shouted at, and because I am a practicing aviator my eyes are still sufficiently good that I don't need the Upper Case to make text viewable. I suspect the others are similar.

It is my opinion that "Eyes Out" does not mean "Completely Cease Cockpit Scan." It means to shift the great predominance of your scan to outside the airplane but still check those critical items like airspeed, altitude, oil pressure/temp, etc.

i think you will see that those of us who have flown ADS-B find it to be like an electronic copilot who says "I see traffic at 11oclock and three miles climb toward us". It quickly cues us so that we can spot traffic. Therefore, I include it in my critical scan.

Now, ADS-B has lots of other features like Notams, etc that are best read elsewhere than near OSH.
    Last edited by TedK; 01-31-2015 at 10:13 AM.