Thread: Better pilot 2015

Better pilot 2015

What is the one thing you will do to be a better pilot this year? Sort of a New Year"s resolution for pilots? And let's keep it brief, limit it to one thing only, please.

I am mainly thinking a safety move, but I guess it could be something else. And let's be real world, not far out dreams.

Thanks and after we get this going hopefully I will come back and post my own one thing. I have two in mind and am thinking of how to narrow it to the main one.

And a Happy and most of all a Safe New Year to all.

Improve my self preflight briefing skills

I'm simply going to try to fly a lot. I only have a couple of hours in my new (to me) plane, made worse by the year of no flying at all immediately preceding that, so I'm not flying it anywhere near as well as I should be able to. Come Spring I plan to rectify that.

This is an easy one. No more broken runway lights! I want to stay on the runway during landings. Grass is a piece of cake, but paved runways are like those snow snakes that now and then get you when skiing. Everything is going fine and dandy landing after landing and then one time off you go. But as a wise old-timer told me "Grass is the dessert. Ashphalt is your meat and potatoes, so master the main course before eating your dessert.".

Practice energy management for better, more precision landings. Several of us "locals" are participating in The Aviatiors' Library, essentially an aviators' book club. We're currently reading and analyzing "Stick and Rudder" from Wolfgang Langewiesche. I'm sure many of us have read the book, but have we really "read the book". We're analyzing his concepts and putting them up against our own experiences, hoping to all become better pilots because of it!
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

Quote Originally Posted by Chris In Marshfield View Post
    Practice energy management for better, more precision landings. Several of us "locals" are participating in The Aviatiors' Library, essentially an aviators' book club. We're currently reading and analyzing "Stick and Rudder" from Wolfgang Langewiesche. I'm sure many of us have read the book, but have we really "read the book". We're analyzing his concepts and putting them up against our own experiences, hoping to all become better pilots because of it!
    Chris, would you be interested in posting some of the points of discussion in another thread? I, for one, would love to get others insight into that book. I've read it in parts and cover to cover and always get something new from it.

Nope,,,no improvement.

I'm allready the best pilot I know. :0)

No more broken runway lights!
    So I'm the only one that ever took one out on takeoff? In my defense, first time in a Champ trying to fast taxi, which is of the devil.

Just going to fly more!
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

For me it has to be slow flight - in particular, stalls in various attitudes and configurations, and spins. Basically really getting to know the aeroplane in the part of its envelope where you're most likely to get into trouble if you mess up.
    Jeremy Leasor

Quote Originally Posted by Chris In Marshfield View Post

Chris, glad you are among us in participating. Energy management is a big part of the next chapter.