Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: musical act suggestions,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stadt View Post
    There was a great swing band that played on the main stage last year. Turn out was great and the audience was more into it than the Monday night concert.
    I bet so. I would not expect a bunch of gray haired folks to like what someone say in their early 20's likes. Its called a generation gap for a reason. If anyone wants to get the younger generation into aviation or anything for that mattter, one better learn how to bridge that generation gap. Many have been trying this for generation, and most never succeeded. One must think like a young person. I guarantee not many young people want to hear any big band.

If you are trying to draw more of the older generations. I say go for the big band. If that is the target audience you are going for.

I know Air Venture is not about the music, but if one wants the younger crowed to come, give them something to bring them. Its evident the airplanes are not working. But the airplanes and the people will keep them. Today one must jump through hoops to get the younger crowed to do much anything. In our time we looked for things like airshows and such. Not so much for the younger crowed. They have their noses stuck in some electronic device. You must get their attention. A good musical performance of someone they like just might do that. Even if the older generation may not like it. Its not for us, its for the kids, its about the kids or younger generation.
    Last edited by 1600vw; 02-22-2015 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I know Air Venture is not about the music, but if one wants the younger crowed to come, give them something to bring them. Its evident the airplanes are not working. But the airplanes and the people will keep them. Today one must jump through hoops to get the younger crowed to do much anything. In our time we looked for things like airshows and such. Not so much for the younger crowed. They have their noses stuck in some electronic device. You must get their attention. A good musical performance of someone they like just might do that. Even if the older generation may not like it. Its not for us, its for the kids, its about the kids or younger generation.

Concur that the Oshkosh fly-in is not (or at least IMHO should not be) about the music. If the airplanes aren't working to attract some folks, I'm fine with that. It's NOT about the younger generation. It's about the target audience, which I believe to be people with an interest in aviation. Hopefully, that includes some younger folks. If not, so be it. Guess I'm just not a hoop-jumper-thruer.

I've been giving Young Eagles rides and Eagles rides since long before EAA codified the phrases. In all that time, I've never felt the need to get folks to the airport thru anything other than an offer of the experience. If that doesn't work for them, so be it.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Rosenow; 02-23-2015 at 05:01 AM. Reason: never done thinking

I was born in the 1960s, and I LOVE Big Band/swing music! I would love that for an opening-night act. I left when Chicago was playing because I consider most of their music sappy, and I almost left during the Steve Miller Band because they were playing so much new (and not very good IMO) material.

I was born in 1960 and I too love the big bands. In the Mood by Glen Miller, I would listen to this while working back in the 70's. I had to clean and mop a big huge dance hall. During the day it was a day care, at night they did all sorts of stuff, it was my job to get this room ready for the nights use. I was 15 when I started doing this. They had big huge speakers hanging all around. I plugged my little tape deck into this sytem and would jam on glen miller as I worked. I would also listen to other big bands but really liked Glen Miller.

I played Trombone back then. Someone stole it and I have not played in years. I use to have metals I won playing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rosenow View Post
    Concur that the Oshkosh fly-in is not (or at least IMHO should not be) about the music. If the airplanes aren't working to attract some folks, I'm fine with that. It's NOT about the younger generation. It's about the target audience, which I believe to be people with an interest in aviation. Hopefully, that includes some younger folks. If not, so be it. Guess I'm just not a hoop-jumper-thruer.

I've been giving Young Eagles rides and Eagles rides since long before EAA codified the phrases. In all that time, I've never felt the need to get folks to the airport thru anything other than an offer of the experience. If that doesn't work for them, so be it.

Jim
    While it's not experimental aircraft, but where have been the big planes recently? No B1's, Concords, etc? Lucky to get a transport plane in and I know the Concord will never happen again, but where are the big cool planes? To me, those are a big draw. While I go to the concerts because they have them, I would rather see really cool airplanes file up the plaza!

The last few years the military has either been outright barred or just cut way back on appearances. The EAA takes who they can get to come on their own nickle be it the military, people like Orbis or Airbus, or Fedex, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I bet so. I would not expect a bunch of gray haired folks to like what someone say in their early 20's likes. Its called a generation gap for a reason. If anyone wants to get the younger generation into aviation or anything for that mattter, one better learn how to bridge that generation gap. Many have been trying this for generation, and most never succeeded. One must think like a young person. I guarantee not many young people want to hear any big band.

If you are trying to draw more of the older generations. I say go for the big band. If that is the target audience you are going for.

Obviously you were not there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stadt View Post
    Obviously you were not there.
    Not in 2014, you are right. I have been there and done that. I doubt anything has changed.

The music act they usually have Monday night isn't so much to attract new folks to Airventure, it's a treat for those that already go. What's next, a rap group, complete with metal detectors at the gates?

For most they could easily go to a group they like near their home much easier than be overly concerned with the act at Oshkosh. There isn't a one choice where you won't have some saying, 'now I have Monday night free'. Any group is nice, but it doesn't 'make or break' Airventure.

Ever since Chicago was announced for their first appearance at AirVenture (2010) I've been thinking that there's a whole range of similarly-named bands that could be invited: Kansas, Boston, America, ... It turns out that one of those bands is giving two shows in the Lake Michigan area the weekend before AirVenture 2015. I may be accused of being a musical dinosaur (perhaps that's why I keep listening to 1968-1972 Pink Floyd live shows all the time), but I would look forward to that band playing in Oshkosh on the Monday. It's the kind of music I listen to while driving down US highways anyway (but that may be because there's nothing else to listen to and survive :-)).