Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: musical act suggestions,,,

I liked Deuces Wild last year. Lots of fun for the whole family. Interactive entertainment. Got to the point that we didn't mind the rain and cold at all.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    I liked Deuces Wild last year. Lots of fun for the whole family. Interactive entertainment. Got to the point that we didn't mind the rain and cold at all.
    Couldn't agree with you more, Chris. I never pay attention to any of the evening entertainment (except the band playing on the Monday) and since I come from across the Atlantic I had no idea who they were anyway, but as I was walking on the main ramp last year photographing the static I heard Deuces Wild start their show and just stayed till the very end. I'm not saying they should be back every year (just so it doesn't become a routine), but I will now look at the evening entertainment schedules and plan my evening around their show if they ever come back.
    And just like you, I remember rain at some stage, but that was no reason to leave the ramp.

Roger

Sometimes I stay for the concert, but most times I head for home. (I drive back and forth everyday from Green Bay)
    But even when I do stay, it seems a little weird. Almost forced. I think they should drop it and keep the musical acts to Theater in the Woods. But that was so 70's, right?
    This is really strange for me because I used to be a working musician. It's how I made a living. But every year I would come to Oshkosh and it was a whole different world.
    Sorry to be so wishy washy. If I had to pick someone I'd like to see, Zak Brown Band. But Ford is NEVER going to bring in a top tier CURRENT touring band.

Putting in a vote for Alison Krauss and Union Station.

Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet

Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band! Rockin!

Quote Originally Posted by Wsquare View Post
    Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band! Rockin!
    Rockin back in the '70's. I saw them once it was a good time. Would I want to see them today?...NO Does anyone 40 and under want to see them? I doubt it very much. Oshkosh has enough gray hair people walking the grounds, why put them on the stage, unless gray haired people is what you want to draw. If we want a younger group of people to attend this event, we had better start thinking like a younger person, like it or not.

One vote for 'none of the above'. If this is the only way we will attract younger folks, then we (or IMHO more likely they) have an issue.

My first visit to 'EAA' was in Rockford when I was still in grade school. My dad had gotten day tickets somewhere, and our family drove the 40 miles to Rockford from home. Between the airplanes on display and the airplanes in the air (including Duane Cole and the 'original' Red Devils in Stearmans), I began a love affair with them that has deeply affected my life, and lasts to this day. That either happens or it doesn't, and no amount of peripheral 'enhancement' will affect it.

I feel the emphasis on music and other extraneous pursuits dilute the resources and committment needed for what I understand is still the purpose of Oshkosh....the annual convention of EAA.

Just one lonely opinion of course...YMMV.

Jim
    EAA 64315

PS- Who knows...maybe I just woke up grumpy this morning! :-)
    Last edited by Jim Rosenow; 01-22-2015 at 07:06 AM. Reason: additional thoughts

Why not have a band play in the evening when everyone is done flying and drinking a good beverage? Nothing better then to hear some good music and looking and nice airplanes. One way to get the younger folks into the grounds. Just because we are getting older we do not have to act like it. Or we could bring our rocking chairs and set around drinking coffee and shooting the breeze. Just don't expect any of the younger crowd to come join you.
    Last edited by 1600vw; 01-22-2015 at 08:29 AM.

I am hoping Jim just woke up grumpy.

Personally, I like the availability of the evening entertainment -- provided courtesy of Ford, along with their other support throughout the week. I don't go to all of the shows, many do not interest me. That's OK. I am not everybody I don't expect all things to meet my ever changing preferences. We are there as a family for a week. It is nice, after the events of the day, to have something where the family can gather relax, and just enjoy a little music or a show. Decompress. With regard to it being a convention, this is not unusual. Really big conventions frequently have evening entertainment -- especially ones that go on for a more than a couple of days (and there are very few as big or as long as EAA's.) Nonetheless, that week in July is not JUST a convention for the EAA, it is really so much more. Otherwise, it could be done in a couple of days surrounding the annual membership meeting. I don't believe anyone is advocating for that.

Chris
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Actually usually the band is loud enough I can hear it down in vintage anyhow. Don't need to go up to the [WHATEVER WE'RE CALLING THE WEST RAMP THIS YEAR].