Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: musical act suggestions,,,

You want somebody cross-generational? How about Neil Diamond? He is HUGE with college kids as his song Sweet Caroline has become a staple at sporting events across the nation (talking U.S. here), and he connects with quite a few of the older generations. Just a thought....

Zack

I sure hope that the right guys at Ford do NOT read this forum!!!
    (maybe)
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

I sure do like Neil Diamond but doubt I would buy a ticket to see him today. But I do listen to his music, but live? I mean no disrespect, its just what it is. Some things are time dependent, that time has come and gone.

Just a thought, but if you want to draw the younger generation give them something to bring them to oshkosh. The people and airplanes will keep them there.

There are plenty of younger acts that are not rap. Frankly, a lot of the country acts that are pretty popular are the mainstay of the state fair circuits. There are also the softer side of rock (Taylor Swift). The biggest issue I suspect is that these are going to be a lot pricier than the geriatric rockaholics that have been the mainstay for the past years.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    There are plenty of younger acts that are not rap. Frankly, a lot of the country acts that are pretty popular are the mainstay of the state fair circuits. There are also the softer side of rock (Taylor Swift). The biggest issue I suspect is that these are going to be a lot pricier than the geriatric rockaholics that have been the mainstay for the past years.

You never know until you ask but maybe one of these people would donate their time and the bands time for the cause. You just never know. But now we are talking.

Iron Maiden

At least the lead singer

a) knows how to sing
    b) knows how to fly
    c) knows what Oshkosh is all about
    d) could bring The Great War Display Team with him & perform during the airshow - http://www.greatwardisplayteam.com
    Last edited by Janet Davidson; 01-28-2015 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet Davidson View Post
    Iron Maiden

At least the lead singer

a) knows how to sing
    b) knows how to fly
    c) knows what Oshkosh is all about
    d) could bring The Great War Display Team with him & perform during the airshow - http://www.greatwardisplayteam.com
    I never was an Iron Maiden fan. A buddy of mine who plays guitar loves them. Heavy Metal was really never my thing. I think a modern band like mentioned a few posts above would fit right in at Oshkosh.

If you are going to dream, dream big! I would love to see Rush, Alex Lifeson the guitar player is an avid aviation nut.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    the geriatric rockaholics that have been the mainstay for the past years.
    I think I'm younger than many people on this forum, and I'm definitely younger than many people I see at Oshkosh. I also happen to listen to music quite a lot. But as I've said before, the Monday night bands so far have been bands that I was either hoping to see at some stage, or that I at least didn't mind watching (like last year). Maybe I'm a geriatric rockaholic even though I'm not yet 50. ?Proof?: some more 'modern' suggestions made in this thread would positively have me stay far away from the main ramp that night - e.g. I don't hear any difference between soft rock and singing wallpaper, except that the latter is probably less annoying.
    The bigger question for me, though, is what purpose the concert serves, and whether attracting a younger crowd could or should be its goal. I'm really not sure if a concert is what will bring in a younger crowd, given the fact that there is admission to be paid (an adult daily ticket, non-EAA member will be 45 USD this year) and that for an outsider, a concert and an airshow and a static exhibition of aircraft is not what they expect in one and the same place. If the goal of the concert is to make money by bringing in outsiders, then the EAA might make more money by organising the concert outside of the grounds, in a clear 'concert setting'. If the goal of AirVenture is to attract younger people into aviation, then I don't believe the concert is the way to do it. What got me hooked on aviation, was the raw noise of a Vulcan bomber doing wing-overs at an airshow we attended during the (single) field-trip in 6th grade. If EAA wants to get young people into aviation, maybe it should use its influence to have the USAF send a B-1 down Oshkosh main street at the start of AirVenture.
    (By the way: when we mention a 'younger' crowd, are we talking about teenagers; 20-30-year-olds; ...?)

Roger