Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: musical act suggestions,,,

Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band!

OK. So 1600vw wants to consider bands that will attract youth? Last I checked, this would be some really dynamic rap (or hip/hop) music. Now, lets extrapolate that further to the "top 25 rap bands" of all time. OK. How about "Slum Village", or "Three 6 Mafia", or "Public Enemy", or "Bone Thugs-N-Harmony". My guess is that Oshkosh could attract any one of these bands for the Monday evening concert. And, said band would probably attract a whole bunch of youth. Of course, there may be a lot of parts missing from airplanes the next morning. Now, let's get real here, and accept reality. We are a bunch of aging aviators, and one concert band playing to youth will not change the demographics of aviation. As the saying goes, "you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself". Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wsquare View Post
    OK. So 1600vw wants to consider bands that will attract youth? Last I checked, this would be some really dynamic rap (or hip/hop) music. Now, lets extrapolate that further to the "top 25 rap bands" of all time. OK. How about "Slum Village", or "Three 6 Mafia", or "Public Enemy", or "Bone Thugs-N-Harmony". My guess is that Oshkosh could attract any one of these bands for the Monday evening concert. And, said band would probably attract a whole bunch of youth. Of course, there may be a lot of parts missing from airplanes the next morning. Now, let's get real here, and accept reality. We are a bunch of aging aviators, and one concert band playing to youth will not change the demographics of aviation. As the saying goes, "you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself". Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band!!
    Funny none of the kids I know listen to rap..... Most are country and or rock fans.

"Funny none of the kids I know listen to rap..... Most are country and or rock fans."

There is a point here. It is not just about age, it is about people likely to be into aviation. Based on this discussion, I did some research and found a few studies on age preference. It seems, contrary to all
    expectations, that when comparing the most popular artists for 64 year olds and 13 year olds, there is a 35% overlap. That is a lot of commonality. Further, this overlap broadly exists throughout all age groups! On the down side, according to the study I looked at, music from the 70s and 80s are broadly unpopular among all age groups. (I happen to like 70's and 80's music.)

The bottom line is that there is a lot of common ground that will appeal to both both aspiring and experienced pilots.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    "Funny none of the kids I know listen to rap..... Most are country and or rock fans."

There is a point here. It is not just about age, it is about people likely to be into aviation. Based on this discussion, I did some research and found a few studies on age preference. It seems, contrary to all
    expectations, that when comparing the most popular artists for 64 year olds and 13 year olds, there is a 35% overlap. That is a lot of commonality. Further, this overlap broadly exists throughout all age groups! On the down side, according to the study I looked at, music from the 70s and 80s are broadly unpopular among all age groups. (I happen to like 70's and 80's music.)

The bottom line is that there is a lot of common ground that will appeal to both both aspiring and experienced pilots.
    Absolutely could not agree more. My daughter and I are 35 years apart and we do like a fair amount of the same music. I would just be happy with anyone relevant.

Ah ha. Now were getting to the core of the issue, and precisely why I posted the comment that I did. A quick review. I suggested Bob Seger. Response is that this band is a "has been", and for oldies. So, I post a concept that is sure to attract youth. This is critiqued because it is not the "right kind of youth". Then some voices of reason speak up. Actually, I have 3 children, early 20's, two aviators, one an Air Force fighter pilot. All three really enjoy Bob Seger. Now back to my original suggestion. Bob Seger. Rather than "put down", to raise another boat, why not float all boats higher, and wish all blue skies and tailwinds. We all win this way.

On drawback to Bob Seger: The show is sponsored by FORD
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Just because I still listen to the music of the 70's does not mean I will go and watch these people today. I see nothing fun in watching a gray haired person running around the stage with their shirt off trying to relive the days of past. It would be like trying to watch a 70 year old ball player play ball again. No one wants to see it.

The Bob Segers of the world have as much relevance to today's young people as Big Crosby had to my generation. Yes Bing is a TREMENDOUS talent, but not one of my friends stood in line to get tickets when he came to town. And 1600vw, I concur. I was a touring musician during the 80's and trust me no one wants to see me with my shirt off reliving the glory days. My music is with a few exceptions nothing that the young are interested in as a whole.

I don't know about Bob Seger but I can tell you that Steve Miller was down in Vintage peering all over some of the aircraft the year he was up.

Yes, it's a tough crowd to satisfy. I think some young 'rapper' or hip hop group may be a little mis-match for Airventure. The Bob Seger, REO Speedwagon, and the Steve Miller types are fine with me. I about never go to concerts anymore, but do enjoy a tidbit at Airventure when it works out.

Yes, most of the patrons 'relive' their youth at times too, just part of life.