Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The most popular homebuilt or kit plane

The most popular homebuilt or kit plane

I recently spent some time putting together a sort of profile on the Cessna 172 Skyhawk, which tops the list of the most produced aircraft of all time. But as I was reading back through the list of the most produced aircraft, I noticed that there aren't any homebuilt or kit planes on the list. Now, that list says you only need to have 5,000 aircraft of a certain type built to be added. I expect at least a few homebuilt/kit planes would make the list. But maybe they are limiting it to factory manufactured planes as well.

So, a couple of questions to the more knowledgeable folks on the EAA forums:

1 - What is the most popular / most produced homebuilt/kit plane?

2 - Is there a list somewhere, or some stats on what experimental aircraft are the most produced/popular?

I suspect that the various models of Van's Aircraft RV series are the most popular and produced homebuilts (confession: I built and fly an RV-8).

From the Van's Aircraft website this morning:

As of January 6, 2015 8,923 RV aircraft have been completed and flown!

Listed by Model
    RV-3 281
    RV-4 1372
    RV-6/6A 2540
    RV-7/7A 1400
    RV-8/8A 1277
    RV-9/9A 947
    RV-10 744
    RV-12 361
    RV-14/14A 1
    Last edited by rv8bldr; 01-06-2015 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Added a space
    -------------------
    Mark
    EAA 367635
    President EAA 245

1979 Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
    RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)
    Bearhawk #1078 C-GPFG (under construction)

Banned
    In the absence of a list with verifiable numbers and no single Manufacturers Association to put them out, I'm submitting a subjective/objective list of most popular which might equate to most produced.

I agree that Vans is number 1 and when you add in number sold(not just completed/flown) is by far the runaway winner.

In no particular order:

Quickie
    Long-Ez
    Cozy
    Flightstar
    Kolb
    Aircamper
    Bowers
    Quicksilver
    Rans
    Europa
    Kitfox
    Searey
    Avid
    Murphy
    Quad City Challenger
    Stoddard-Hamilton/Glasair
    Zenith
    Emeraude(France)
    Wittman Tailwind
    Beaver/Chinook
    CGS Hawk
    Volksplane
    Fisher
    Corben Aces
    Mini-Max
    Titan
    Rotorway(Heli)
    Last edited by Floatsflyer; 01-06-2015 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Forgot a major mfg.

I think you are going to find the issue is the different types. As someone pointed out, Vans has a lot of aircraft flying. And your list needed 5K to be included...The RV6 is closest with ~2500. Quad City Challenger claims 4,000, but that includes many different models as well. So between all the various models of Vans and say Challengers, you are going to have a hard time getting to 5K. Then when you look at upgraded planes 'killing' off the older models. I mean how many people are going to build an RV4 when they can build the 8? How many people are going to build a 3 now?
    1996 Quad City Challenger CWS w/503 - Sold
    1974 7ECA Citabria - Sold
    1986 Pitts S1S

But that list doesn't count different models of 172 differently...from the original 172, through 172S, retract, turbo, etc. With the exception of the LSA RV, one could argue they should be counted together (or even two-seaters all together vs RV-3 and RV-10).

Quote Originally Posted by Anders View Post
    I recently spent some time putting together a sort of profile on the Cessna 172 Skyhawk, which tops the list of the most produced aircraft of all time. But as I was reading back through the list of the most produced aircraft, I noticed that there aren't any homebuilt or kit planes on the list. Now, that list says you only need to have 5,000 aircraft of a certain type built to be added. I expect at least a few homebuilt/kit planes would make the list. But maybe they are limiting it to factory manufactured planes as well.

So, a couple of questions to the more knowledgeable folks on the EAA forums:

1 - What is the most popular / most produced homebuilt/kit plane?

2 - Is there a list somewhere, or some stats on what experimental aircraft are the most produced/popular?
    Well, you're in luck. I just downloaded the most recent FAA registration database and ran it against my filters.

Ron Wanttaja
    Attached Images Attached Images

Prairie Cottage Airport, 8KS8, Chapman KS
    Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Well, you're in luck. I just downloaded the most recent FAA registration database and ran it against my filters.

Ron Wanttaja
    Very nicely done, thanks for the info.
    Jim Clark, Chairman National Biplane Fly In, www.nationalbiplaneflyin.com. Currently flying: 1929 Waco CSO, 1939 Waco EGC-8, 1946 Piper J-3, 1955 Piper PA22/20, 1956 Beech G35, 1984 Beech A36 & 2001 Vans RV9.
    You love a lot of things if you live around them, but there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, nor any before nor any after, that is as lovely as a great airplane, and men who love them are faithful to them even though they leave them for others.
    - Ernest Hemingway

Wow. Just, wow. Thank you all for the info. I suspected the Vans RVs would be up there, but wasn't aware just how popular they were. And rv builder has a point. That 172 count covers all the various models, 172A-S.

Also, thank you for the PDF regarding the homebuilt fleet size, Ron. That's awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post

Ron Wanttaja
    Ron - I didn't see "COZY"'s of any type listed - I know there are (as of the last time I checked) somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 registered COZY's (if not more). What happened to them?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Zeitlin View Post
    Ron - I didn't see "COZY"'s of any type listed - I know there are (as of the last time I checked) somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 registered COZY's (if not more). What happened to them?
    Just didn't think of them. I used this for a filter:

Like "*Cozy*" Or Like "*Co-z*" Or Like "*Co z*" Or Like "*puffer*"

...and got 188 examples. To make up for skipping them, I've added a list of the registered aircraft.

I also found another 55 in the Deregistered Aircraft list.

Ron Wanttaja
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 01-07-2015 at 02:00 AM.