Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Robin Ultralight

Just a quick note to let everyone know whats happening with the Robin. I got a nice note from Norm Langlois who was concerned that something might have befallen me!! Well I went to the airport for the first taxi tests and I discovered a problem with the landing gear. My design , using a spruce wood core and carbon pultruded flats started to crush under the clamp stresses and taxi stresses. As a result the gear started to slide outward. We noticed it immediately and stopped all taxi testing. I took the Robin back to my shop and pulled the gear. Bottom line is, I ordered a brand new Aluminum spring gear from Grove Manufacturing. I am not giving up on the idea I had for this gear, but a one piece aluminum gear is a known entity and represents one less variable. I am making modifications for the new gear to the Fuselage. I will be back in air in a few weeks.
    Last weekend I had the privilege of being asked to speak at the ESA's (Experimental Soaring Society) western conference in Tehachapi California. I really had a great time and I received a lot of comments on the Robin. The ESA is the Homebuilding division of the SSA (Soaring Society of America) as such they are just like the folks at the EAA except engine-less.

hey if you guys are needing some epoxy Primer, I put some inexpensive primer for sale on E-Bay. Water Based Epoxy Primer (Yellow) | eBay This is surplus from Vought aircraft. Its the basic primer used on all Boeing aircraft. I am listing it fo $35/kit (2 gallons) , but if you bid $25 I will accept it. This is really high tech stuff, its epoxy Polyamide and water based. Its designed for electrostatic spraying, but it can also be sprayed with conventional guns. The primer has expired so its not usable for a certified aircraft. I have had a kit that was out of date by 4 years and as long as the can is un opened, its still good. 2 years ago I had a bunch of this primer and sold it to a guy in Bath Maine who was using it on long lining Swordfish boats. He was buying it from Deft for $300 kit. So buy some of my primer so I can get my N/C router!!!! LOL!!!

Mark its been a long time since your last post.Have you made any progress toward test flights?

Robin Landing gear update

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Langlois View Post
    Mark its been a long time since your last post.Have you made any progress toward test flights?

Thanks Norm for your concern. yes, i am finally making some progress. My new landing gear came in from Grove Aviation yesterday. I'm still waiting for the radius block clamps, so I can finish the gear installation. I have uncovered the fuselage and rebuilt the local gear attach frames and bulkheads. I decided to add the gear external to the longerons, rather than though the fuselage as the previous gear was installed. I will redesign the final gear installation to clean it up a bit, but this is a very clean redesign for the existing structure. Here is a picture of the gear sitting in place:

Name:  IMG_0658.jpg
Views: 2241
Size:  86.2 KB

I updated my blog Robin Ultralight to show the latest update for my new gear redesign. A friend of mine bought a Tiafun Motor glider that had a nose gear collapse . He bought id off the AIG insurance web site. He lives in New Jersey and if he can get his flight out on Thursday we are going to drive to Moriarty New Mexico this Friday to pick it up. He got a hell of a deal and I will post some pictures when we get it.

New Gear and brakes

Well I'm getting closer to going back to the airport!!!

There is a nice write up from Dean Sigler on page 64 of the January edition of Kitplanes magazine. I met Dean at the 2012 Experimental Soaring Societies western conference in Tehachapi Ca over the labor day week end.

I just updated my blog Robin Ultralight I am showing the new gear and the additions of the adapted go Kart brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Calder View Post
    . . . He bought id off the AIG insurance web site. He lives in New Jersey and if he can get his flight out on Thursday we are going to drive to Moriarty New Mexico this Friday to pick it up. He got a hell of a deal and I will post some pictures when we get it.
    I tried finding the site but could not. Would you please give any details you have regarding the AIG site or any other way to find out about totaled aircraft available for purchase from insurance companies. Thanks so much. Stan S

Never mind, I found the site. All the best, SS

Hello Mark
    Are you still active ? And moving your project along. It's been a long winter .Thought maybe I would see some update with warmer climate where you are. I still have 4 weeks or so to go. I'm working on transport and handling now . Aircraft modifications during the 4th week and then it's back to the sky for me.