Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Robin Ultralight

Progress report

I am spending the week end doing the final paint on the surfaces already covered. I was on a business trip for 4 days so I spent my evenings designing the revised wing. The new wing will be all wood. I have decided not to use the Graphlite rods and straps. I wanted to design a spar that could be assembled separately as a sub assembly, then bonded to a shear web. The problem I ran into is a lack of bond area on the inboard spar. The carbon picks up so much load that it becomes impossible to shear the running load out without interleaving shear ply's. I know I could built that type of design, but I think it is too complicated for the plans builder. I will continue to use them in my Landing gear, there is no issue with bond shear area there. Here are some images of the new spar root,the shear webs are removed for clarity. I have some more pictures on my Blog

http://robinultralight.blogspot.com/
    Name:  root minus web.jpg
Views: 1531
Size:  20.0 KB

progress report

I got my Parachute and Riser Straps, The Second Chantz guys really did beautiful job. I plan on installing the risers this week end and then start covering the fuselage. I have been doing the final painting of the wings, I discovered that I actually get a nicer finish using a roller than a spray gun. The addition of Flowtrol to the paint is really beneficial. I substituted ammonia for the windshield wiper fluid for use as a reducer, but other than that, I am sticking with the initial formula. This latex system is definitely the lightest possible way to cover a plane. It appears that the surfaces are actually getting tighter with each application.
    Robin Ultralight
    Last edited by Mark Calder; 03-28-2012 at 07:24 AM. Reason: spelling

I started installing my Ballistic Chute. A few more days of work and I will be able to start covering the fuselage. Still impressed with the use of Latex paint for finish. I updated my Blog with more pictures.

http://robinultralight.blogspot.com/

Ballistic Chute deployment handle.

I added some more pictures of the Ballistic chute installation on my Blog Robin Ultralight Take a look at where I decided to mount the deployment handle. I debated where to put it, see if my logic is correct. I'm open to any suggestions anyone might have.

Mark

Mark do you have any numbers on your covering applications per square foot .I recently covered and have painted to 4 cross coats of latex
    My totals equal .62 oz per square foot that includes fabric Stewarts system adhesive 1 cross coat of UV Ekofill and 4 cross coats of white exterior latex. Thes numbers reflect the additional weight to the aluminum item .
    Have you done better if so what is your comparison if you will.
    Last edited by Norman Langlois; 04-03-2012 at 06:32 PM.

fabric weight

Norm, I am not adding that many coats. I have two cross coats of primer which is my UV coat and then two top coats of paint. I'm more concerned with weigh on my prototype than I am UV protection. I plan on stripping the fuselage fabric and rebuilding the wing and landing gear carry through frames. The wings will be new, so I'm not worried about long term UV protection on them. But here is what I ended up with for one wing, the total cover weight with Ekobond is 24 oz. (1.8 oz/yd sq dacron) The paint added a little under 2.5 lbs per wing. So working backward that equates to .015 lbs/ft2. for finish or a total of .024lbs/ft sq

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Langlois View Post
    My totals equal .62 oz per square...
    Norm are you sure of this number? I think you are off one decimel place. At that weight, one wing of mine would have 101 lbs of covering weight.

I thought maybe it would be misunderstood . I am intending to project about 5/8ths of one oz. per square ft
    In case I still have it all wrong. The object is half the stabilator raw aluminum weight is 3lbs 8ozs. after covering it weighed 3lbs 12ozs after UV Eko fill it weighed 3lbs 14ozs. after the 4 cross coats of white it weighs 4 lbs 4ozs the square footage is 18.4 surface area top and bottom as near as I can calculate. the white over the charcoal grey cover was poor and so it took 4 cross coats to look good, as the latex sprays poorly with a gun unless thinned to the extreme. 5ozs of paint containing floetroel to 8ozs of fluid .
    Last edited by Norman Langlois; 04-04-2012 at 06:49 PM.

Latex Paint Covering Process

Were in the same ballpark Norm. I think Latex is definitly the lightest way to go, keep up the good work, I follow all of your posts.

Mark

Help needed!!!

Does anyone know where I can get some seat belt and shoulder harness fittings like these in my pictures? I especially need the shoulder harness fittings like the picture on the left. I bought a conventional seat and shoulder harness from Aircraft Spruce but after I installed them, I realized i needed a crotch belt. The pilot is reclined so much that he will "submarine" under the belts. Name:  Buckle attach.jpg
Views: 1407
Size:  88.4 KBName:  anchor fitting.jpg
Views: 1385
Size:  88.5 KB