Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields website

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    This is great news, Paul! Thanks for letting us know!

Off to donate -

Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    This is great news, Paul! Thanks for letting us know!

Off to donate -

Hal
    Hal, your a good guy. Glenn
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Thanks to historical material contributed by Kevin Walsh, Ron Plante, Brian Rehwinkel, and hundreds of other aviation history buffs over the past quarter, the "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website's quantity of material has grown to a total of 2,204 airfields, across all 50 states. This includes new additions describing former airfields such as Groveton Airfield NH, Elsinore Airport CA, Brightwood Airport IN, Reynolds Field NY, Holley Field FL, Wamsutter Airport WY, Pepeekeo Airstrip HI, Kona Village Resort Airstrip HI, Shippensburg Airport PA, McEnnan Airport MI, Rich Field TX, Payne Field MS, Sky Court Airport NM, Bassler Airfield MD, and updates to many others. If you have applicable material about a former airfield, please let me know.

And I truly appreciate financial donations, without which the site could not continue.

Paul Freeman
    www.airfieldsfreeman.com

This little airfield was founded way back when. In the 30's or 40's. The CAP flew out of here and this was a happening place at one time. I flew in for lunch. Now its a private strip. back in the day it was a municipal strip or owned by the county. Now a family owns it. They had a metal working machine shop on grounds at one time and the man who ran the place ran this machine shop. He built the hangars in this machine shop. They are all metal hangars and all the pieces fit together and can be taken apart. One of the coolest little place I have seen.

It's called Hilvety Airfield. The last Saturday of every month in the summer they hold this lunch at 12 noon sharp. I mean they eat at noon. These men do this even though sometimes it's just them sitting and eating. But they are getting up in age and not sure how long this will be going. Some of us young aviators will step up and take over. Not sure if i will be part but would sure love to be.

I wanted to share. They still use the same out house they did back then. You must like to rough it to fly in.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/5LL1

Name:  SAM_7388.jpg
Views: 2370
Size:  96.4 KB Name:  SAM_7390.jpg
Views: 2177
Size:  96.1 KB Name:  SAM_7389.jpg
Views: 1983
Size:  97.0 KB Name:  SAM_7384.jpg
Views: 2032
Size:  97.9 KB Name:  SAM_7385.jpg
Views: 1947
Size:  93.4 KB Name:  SAM_7383.jpg
Views: 1996
Size:  96.8 KB

Tony

Thanks to historical material contributed by Lee Corbin, Kevin Walsh, Ron Plante, Brian Rehwinkel, and hundreds of other aviation history buffs over the past quarter, the "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website's quantity of material has grown to a total of2,249 airfields, across all 50 states. This includes new additions describing former airfields such as Grand River Airpark MI, Maricopa Airport CA, David's Field MI, Twin City Airport AR, Nottingham Field VA, Steven's Desert Airport CA, Point Spencer AFB AK, Senia Airport IN, North Augusta Airport SC, and updates to many others. If you have applicable material about a former airfield, particularly pictures, please let me know.

Paul Freeman

www.airfields-freeman.com

Rebel Field near Mercedes, Texas is about gone. It is still marked on the Brownsville sectional but very hard to make out. I think it was the original home of the Confederate Air Force. I used to hang out their as a kid and crawl over the derelict airplanes. I am now at T65 Mid Valley, Weslaco.

2017 was a great year for the "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website. Thanks to historical material contributed by Bill Grasha, Mike Denja, Kevin Walsh, Ron Plante, Brian Rehwinkel, and hundreds of other aviation history buffs, entries for an additional 117 airfields have been added to the website in the past year. This brings the site's coverage to a total of 2,280 airfields, across all 50 states. It includes new additions describing former airfields such as Tucson Airpark AZ, Yates Airport TX, Westwood Airport (1st location) CA, Holly Airport MI, Robbinsdale Airport MN, Northern Pump Airfield IL, Maveal Airport MI, Genesee Field NY, Hughesville Airport P, Applegarth Airfield NJ, and updates to many others. If you have applicable material about a former airfield, particularly pictures, please let me know.
    And I truly appreciate financial donations, without which the site could not continue.

Paul Freeman
    www.airfields-freeman.com

Thanks to historical material contributed by Lee Corbin, Bill Grasha, Kevin Walsh, Mike Denja, Brian Rehwinkel, and hundreds of other aviation history buffs, entries for an additional 111 airfields have been added to the "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website in the past year. This brings the site's coverage to a total of 2,305 airfields, across all 50 states. It includes new additions describing former airfields such as Rudy's Airport NJ, Piney Hollow Airfield NJ, Portsmouth Island Airfield NC, Sycamore Airport IL, Bergdoll Field PA, Mather Airport OH, Ace High Airport MO, Wood Field VA, and updates to many others. If you have applicable material about a former airfield, particularly pictures, please let me know.

Paul Freeman
    www.airfieldsfreeman.com

The number of former airfields profiled on the "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website continues to grow. Entries for an additional 99 airfields have been added in the past year. This brings the site's coverage to a total of 2,320 airfields, across all 50 states. It includes new additions describing former airfields such as Bar None Aiport CO, Gimlet Airport ID, Sky Harbor Airport WA, Spanaway Airport WA, Cole Airport TX, Gulf Coast Airport TX, Original Carmi Municipal Airport IL, Ashtabula-Conneaut Airport NJ, and updates to many others. If you have applicable material about a former airfield, particularly pictures, please let me know.

Paul Freeman

www.airfieldsfreeman.com

Entries for an additional 49 airfields have been added to the "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website in the past year. This brings the site's coverage to a total of 2,362 airfields, across all 50 states. It includes new additions describing former airfields such as Oberlin Airport OH, Horn Point Aerodrome MD, Bland's Wharf Intermediate Field VA, Milford Intermediate Field VA, Erie Aerodrome MI, Pottawatomie Airport KS, De Witt Airport IA, Grumman Calverton Airfield NY, and updates to many others.
    If you have applicable material about a former airfield, particularly pictures, please let me know.

Paul Freeman ��✈

www.airfieldsfreeman.com