Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields website

www.airfields.freeman.com featured in AOPA Pilot Magazine

The Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields website, at http://www.airfields-freeman.com, recently had 2 milestones:
    - It reached over 2 million visitors, and
    - Barry Schiff's column in the April AOPA Pilot Magazine featured the website - see http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All- ... /profpilot

The content on http://www.airfields-freeman.com has also continued to grow, now with a total of 1,920 former airfields covered, in all 50 states. Several hundred other entries have been updated with additional pictures & information.

So if you haven't visited http://www.airfields-freeman.com in a while, come back & see how much interesting aviation historical material has been added to the site.

Thanks!

Paul Freeman
    http://www.airfields-freeman.com

Thanks to material submitted by readers, the historical content on www.airfields-freeman.com has continued to expand: In the past 3 months, a total of 35 additional airfields have been added to the website, bringing the site's total of airfields covered to 1,996, across all 50 states. Many of the existing writeups have been updated with new material, with a total of over 30,723 airfield pictures now on the site.

So if you haven't visited www.airfields-freeman.com in a while, come back & see how much interesting aviation historical material has been added to the site.

Thanks!

Paul Freeman
    www.airfields-freeman.com

The historical content on www.airfields-freeman.com continues to grow. with two recent sources of a significant amount of historical pictures & information. In addition to other readers' contributions of material, two readers of the site, Kevin Walsh & David Stevenson, have recently contributed a treasure trove of material which has started to appear on the site & will continue to be added to the site over the coming month. I appreciate the flow of pictures & material from everyone else, as www.airfields-freeman.com is truly a collaborative project. The site's total of airfields covered now includes 2,068 airfields, across all 50 states.

If you haven't visited www.airfields-freeman.com in a while, take a look to see what's been added.

Paul Freeman

cool site

Quote Originally Posted by pfreeman View Post
    The historical content on www.airfields-freeman.com continues to grow. with two recent sources of a significant amount of historical pictures & information. In addition to other readers' contributions of material, two readers of the site, Kevin Walsh & David Stevenson, have recently contributed a treasure trove of material which has started to appear on the site & will continue to be added to the site over the coming month. I appreciate the flow of pictures & material from everyone else, as www.airfields-freeman.com is truly a collaborative project. The site's total of airfields covered now includes 2,068 airfields, across all 50 states.

If you haven't visited www.airfields-freeman.com in a while, take a look to see what's been added.

Paul Freeman
    Very cool site. Still missing a few airports I remember though. Wonder how many others remember them.

Bill H.

The historical content on www.airfields-freeman.com continues to grow, with many recent significant submissions of historical material from readers. The site's total of airfields covered now includes 2,101 airfields, across all 50 states. This includes new additions describing former airfields in California, Pennsylvania, and other states, new images of Meigs Field IL & Haley AAF IL, and updates to many other articles describing former airfields. If you have applicable material, particularly pictures, please let me know!

So if you haven't been to the website in a while, come take a look at what's been added!

Paul Freeman

While not abandoned I had the pleasure of landing my Cherokee several years ago at the old Kinross/Kincheloe AFB in upper Michigan where I spent a couple of very cold winters as a young airman working on the flight line during the late 1950's. It was a F102 base then and I think I landed directly on the end of the runway and taxied about two miles. I was also up there for a KK veterans reunion about 2000.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

The historical content on www.airfields-freeman.com continues to grow, with many recent significant submissions of historical material from readers. The site's total of airfields covered now includes 2,137 airfields, across all 50 states. This includes new additions describing former airfields such as Cards Airpark OR, Saugus Field MA, Morgan Field MI, Alexai Point Army Airfield AK, Haydu - Mt Bethel Airport NJ, Dunlap Airfield TN, Martins Creek Airport PA, McGills Ultralight Field AZ, Albany Field GA, Fort Lewis #1 Airfield WA, Skyline Peak Airport NC, and updates to many other articles describing former airfields. If you have applicable material, particularly pictures, please let me know!

Paul Freeman

Paul, your site is great and I have contributed to you in the past. A search function would make it all that better. Glenn
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Hi Paul,

I too have spent some time on your website and I was able to contribute some history regarding Carlstrom Field. One airport you may want to include in the Miami South group is Pitts Field where Curtis Pitts was based for many years and developed the S-1S, S-2, S-2A, S-1-11, etc.

I can supply an address but I never thought to take photos during my numerous visits there in the 70's. Many photos exist as published in magazines like Flying and I can find one of those articles for you on Google's site which has almost every back issue of that magazine. Budd Davidson took photos during his visits for articles and his book that he may be happy to allow you to use. Current aerials clearly show the strip and the shop buildings, the runway is now planted with citrus trees. If you still have my email address please drop me a note and I'll try to help with getting this important airport's documentation. Or reply here if you're interested and I'll reach out to you.

Here's a link to a Flying Mag article with a couple of photos taken at the airport;

https://books.google.com/books?id=3u5l8A1v_o0C&pg=PA41&dq=pitts&hl=en&sa=X& ved=0ahUKEwisyOLdjuDQAhXGWSYKHdjDDOY4ChDoAQgZMAA#v =onepage&q&f=false
    Last edited by cwilliamrose; 12-06-2016 at 12:00 PM.

After transitioning the "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website to a new hosting company at the end of last year, I'm happy to report that all of its content (1.3 gigabytes) is now available through a much more robust host.

I've also resumed adding new content to the site. Thanks to historical material submitted by readers, the site's total of airfields covered now includes 2,168airfields, across all 50 states. This includes new additions describing former airfields such as Park Ridge Airport IL, Clear Ridge Airport NE, Fernley Airfield NV, Rubinkam Airport IL, Saugatuck-Douglas Airport MI, Iberia Parish Airport LA, Haulover Canal Airfield FL, Bassler Airfield MD, and updates to many others. If you have applicable material about a former airfield, please let me know.

And I truly appreciate financial donations, without which the site could not continue.

Paul Freeman