Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields website

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The historical content on www.airfields-freeman.com continues to grow, with many recent significant submissions of historical material from readers. The site's total of airfields covered now includes 2,137 airfields, across all 50 states. This includes new additions describing former airfields such as Cards Airpark OR, Saugus Field MA, Morgan Field MI, Alexai Point Army Airfield AK, Haydu - Mt Bethel Airport NJ, Dunlap Airfield TN, Martins Creek Airport PA, McGills Ultralight Field AZ, Albany Field GA, Fort Lewis #1 Airfield WA, Skyline Peak Airport NC, and updates to many other articles describing former airfields. If you have applicable material, particularly pictures, please let me know!

Paul Freeman

www.airfields-freeman.com

Paul, your site is great and I have contributed to you in the past. A search function would make it all that better. Glenn
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Hi Paul,

I too have spent some time on your website and I was able to contribute some history regarding Carlstrom Field. One airport you may want to include in the Miami South group is Pitts Field where Curtis Pitts was based for many years and developed the S-1S, S-2, S-2A, S-1-11, etc.

I can supply an address but I never thought to take photos during my numerous visits there in the 70's. Many photos exist as published in magazines like Flying and I can find one of those articles for you on Google's site which has almost every back issue of that magazine. Budd Davidson took photos during his visits for articles and his book that he may be happy to allow you to use. Current aerials clearly show the strip and the shop buildings, the runway is now planted with citrus trees. If you still have my email address please drop me a note and I'll try to help with getting this important airport's documentation. Or reply here if you're interested and I'll reach out to you.

Here's a link to a Flying Mag article with a couple of photos taken at the airport;

https://books.google.com/books?id=3u5l8A1v_o0C&pg=PA41&dq=pitts&hl=en&sa=X& ved=0ahUKEwisyOLdjuDQAhXGWSYKHdjDDOY4ChDoAQgZMAA#v =onepage&q&f=false
    Last edited by cwilliamrose; 12-06-2016 at 12:00 PM.

After transitioning the "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website to a new hosting company at the end of last year, I'm happy to report that all of its content (1.3 gigabytes) is now available through a much more robust host.

I've also resumed adding new content to the site. Thanks to historical material submitted by readers, the site's total of airfields covered now includes 2,168airfields, across all 50 states. This includes new additions describing former airfields such as Park Ridge Airport IL, Clear Ridge Airport NE, Fernley Airfield NV, Rubinkam Airport IL, Saugatuck-Douglas Airport MI, Iberia Parish Airport LA, Haulover Canal Airfield FL, Bassler Airfield MD, and updates to many others. If you have applicable material about a former airfield, please let me know.

And I truly appreciate financial donations, without which the site could not continue.

Paul Freeman

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    This is great news, Paul! Thanks for letting us know!

Off to donate -

Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    This is great news, Paul! Thanks for letting us know!

Off to donate -

Hal
    Hal, your a good guy. Glenn
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Thanks to historical material contributed by Kevin Walsh, Ron Plante, Brian Rehwinkel, and hundreds of other aviation history buffs over the past quarter, the "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website's quantity of material has grown to a total of 2,204 airfields, across all 50 states. This includes new additions describing former airfields such as Groveton Airfield NH, Elsinore Airport CA, Brightwood Airport IN, Reynolds Field NY, Holley Field FL, Wamsutter Airport WY, Pepeekeo Airstrip HI, Kona Village Resort Airstrip HI, Shippensburg Airport PA, McEnnan Airport MI, Rich Field TX, Payne Field MS, Sky Court Airport NM, Bassler Airfield MD, and updates to many others. If you have applicable material about a former airfield, please let me know.

And I truly appreciate financial donations, without which the site could not continue.

Paul Freeman
    www.airfieldsfreeman.com

2017 was a great year for the "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website. Thanks to historical material contributed by Bill Grasha, Mike Denja, Kevin Walsh, Ron Plante, Brian Rehwinkel, and hundreds of other aviation history buffs, entries for an additional 117 airfields have been added to the website in the past year. This brings the site's coverage to a total of 2,280 airfields, across all 50 states. It includes new additions describing former airfields such as Tucson Airpark AZ, Yates Airport TX, Westwood Airport (1st location) CA, Holly Airport MI, Robbinsdale Airport MN, Northern Pump Airfield IL, Maveal Airport MI, Genesee Field NY, Hughesville Airport P, Applegarth Airfield NJ, and updates to many others. If you have applicable material about a former airfield, particularly pictures, please let me know.

Paul Freeman

Thanks to historical material contributed by Lee Corbin, Bill Grasha, Kevin Walsh, Mike Denja, Brian Rehwinkel, and hundreds of other aviation history buffs, entries for an additional 111 airfields have been added to the "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website in the past year. This brings the site's coverage to a total of 2,305 airfields, across all 50 states. It includes new additions describing former airfields such as Rudy's Airport NJ, Piney Hollow Airfield NJ, Portsmouth Island Airfield NC, Sycamore Airport IL, Bergdoll Field PA, Mather Airport OH, Ace High Airport MO, Wood Field VA, and updates to many others. If you have applicable material about a former airfield, particularly pictures, please let me know.

Paul Freeman
    www.airfieldsfreeman.com

The number of former airfields profiled on the "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website continues to grow. Entries for an additional 99 airfields have been added in the past year. This brings the site's coverage to a total of 2,320 airfields, across all 50 states. It includes new additions describing former airfields such as Bar None Aiport CO, Gimlet Airport ID, Sky Harbor Airport WA, Spanaway Airport WA, Cole Airport TX, Gulf Coast Airport TX, Original Carmi Municipal Airport IL, Ashtabula-Conneaut Airport NJ, and updates to many others. If you have applicable material about a former airfield, particularly pictures, please let me know.

Paul Freeman

www.airfieldsfreeman.com