Thread: Fold wings and tow?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks for the replies. Anyone else with any experience I'd like to hear it. I believe Dana's response makes pretty good sense - if it's got easy-fold wings, and if you can leave an enclosed trailer at the airport (or squeeze it into an otherwise "full" hangar) - that might be a good way to achieve some additional functionality with folding wings. As to the Onex, no customer completions yet, though I have seen it up close - and (see my avatar photo) I believe they make a good airplane . Also the easiest wing-fold I've ever seen - there WILL be some added utility with wings THAT easy to fold. If you haven't seen it, it's about 15 seconds either folding up to store or unfolding for flight.
    Murphy's 13th: Every solution breeds new problems...

http://www.spoonworld.com

Although the wings don't fold, both the Volks Plane 1 & 2 were designed so the wings were quickly removeable and the plans included details of a wing rack and tow bar that fit on the plane. Add a light bar with a license plate and it would be towable on road for fairly short distances. The VP 1 plans are still available. The VP 2 plans are no longer sold, but details are available in the yahoo group. My own plane has folding wings (Fisher Horizon 1) but I would be very leary of towing it on its wheels on the highway and would want extra bracing on the wings in the folded position. I am designing a special trailer for it now which will probably use very heavy duty truck tarp to keep it out of the wind and elements when it is being towed.

Cheers
    Daniel