Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help me ID this vintage aircraft items...

Please help me ID this vintage aircraft items...

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a stash of goodies from an aged gentleman, and he is of the opinion that these items are from the aircraft world...

Any assistance with identification would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Nic

The middle one is obviously a flight computer of a design that I've not seen before. Real pretty.

If I'd have to venture a guess, the bottom is an oil tank off something.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    The middle one is obviously a flight computer of a design that I've not seen before. Real pretty.

If I'd have to venture a guess, the bottom is an oil tank off something.
    Thanks for the info', Ron.

I'm not an aircraft guy, so all info' is welcome.

The tank is definitely off of something rather large, if it is an oil tank...

Old airplanes, especially radial engines, used to need a lot of oil. It might be a fuel tank but it doesn't look right. Since it's a cylindrical shape, it was not something that would have been crammed inside the cowling of a small aircraft.

You wouldn't be interested in selling the flight computer?

Old airplanes, especially radial engines, used to need a lot of oil. It might be a fuel tank but it doesn't look right. Since it's a cylindrical shape, it was not something that would have been crammed inside the cowling of a small aircraft.

You wouldn't be interested in selling the flight computer?
    Thanks for the info', Ron.

I'm expecting a call from a local museum in the new year about some of the items I've acquired, but I may consider selling a few of them privately too. Would you care to make me an offer? I have told the museum that I will speak to them first, so I can't give you an answer just yet though.

Kind regards,

Nic

Agreed as to its being pretty; NOT so sure it's a flight computer. Yes, the bottom of it has a flight computer-like scale. But it also has little nubs or something to allow it slide atop something. Looks to me like this is designed to be placed atop a chart and the two arms used to show the bearing of two different targets.

One aspect is the scale on the arms...it only goes up to 110, which is too slow for any aircraft in the past 80 years and too fast for surface vessels. Note that the "Flight Computer" side doesn't have an index mark.

Speaking of marks, note the Broad Arrow proof mark at the 9 o'clock position on the top view. This indicates it was produced as Crown property in Great Britain. The lettering at the 1-2 o'clock position seems to say "9 (degree) CDC Mark 1". CDC..."Course Direction Computer", or something along those lines?

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Agreed as to its being pretty; NOT so sure it's a flight computer. Yes, the bottom of it has a flight computer-like scale. But it also has little nubs or something to allow it slide atop something. Looks to me like this is designed to be placed atop a chart and the two arms used to show the bearing of two different targets.
    This has some similarities to a Battenberg Course Indicator:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battenb...urse_indicator

Other options include an artillery or torpedo plotter. It has some similarities to a pelorus, too, but it doesn't have the sighting notches.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post

One aspect is the scale on the arms...it only goes up to 110, which is too slow for any aircraft in the past 80 years and too fast for surface vessels. Note that the "Flight Computer" side doesn't have an index mark.

Speaking of marks, note the Broad Arrow proof mark at the 9 o'clock position on the top view. This indicates it was produced as Crown property in Great Britain. The lettering at the 1-2 o'clock position seems to say "9 (degree) CDC Mark 1". CDC..."Course Direction Computer", or something along those lines?

Ron Wanttaja
    As a man with multiple hobbies, I'm still amazed at the scope of knowledge different communities possess.

Thanks for the fascinating insight, RonW. The mystery deepens...

Kind regards,

Nic

The tank looks a lot like the fuel tank on some very early (pre WWI) aircraft, if it's big enough (you don't say how big it is). The fitting could be anything. The other item is clearly some kind of navigation computer; it has "time" and "distance" scales on the bottom. An early wind drift computer, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    The tank looks a lot like the fuel tank on some very early (pre WWI) aircraft, if it's big enough (you don't say how big it is). The fitting could be anything. The other item is clearly some kind of navigation computer; it has "time" and "distance" scales on the bottom. An early wind drift computer, perhaps?
    How exciting!

I'm getting more attached to this lot, borne out of of sheer fascination, by the hour. Thanks, Dana.

I'm expecting the local airforce museum to contact me in the new year, and I will definitely be taking this lot along to show them.

Kind regards,

Nic