Thread: So... burn line to be moved back again?

So... burn line to be moved back again?

I see the Breitling jet team (flying 7 L-39's) are scheduled to appear at AirVenture 2015 (22-24 July). So does this mean the burn line will be put back to between the speaker poles again? And the South 40 will not be accessible during the airshow on those days again?
    If so, I hope a quick confirmation or denial will be published soon, as I tend to book flights at the beginning of January. AirVenture 2015 has/had the potential to be an epic event, what with B-29 'Doc', the BAHF C-97, possibly the Lufthansa and/or AHM Super Connie hopefully ready by then, but if I'm having to photograph arrivals from among the parked aircraft, I'll easily find other ways to spend my holidays.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger Janssens; 12-22-2014 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Dates apparently finalised.

Well, if it's anything like last year, the particular details won't be forthcoming until the right before the date (though perhaps with experiences learned from last year, it won't be a "continual revision"t thing).

Of course, there's a whole lot of difference between L-39's and F16's. You do know that the show runs four other days other than the ones these demo teams fly?
    Not many "arrivals" on 36 on the big airshow days. The WOA show tends to start earlier and showcases before that.

[deleted]
    Last edited by Roger Janssens; 12-22-2014 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Cf. Hal Bryan's reply below.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    While we haven't finalized the entire air show lineup at this point, I can tell you that there are absolutely no plans for any movement of the burn/crowd line this year. To be extra clear, that means the showline will be back to "normal", and not altered like it was for the Thunderbirds.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

I've said it before and I'll say it again while I can appreciate aerobatics after a few loops, rolls, etc. they get pretty boring. The exception being Duane Cole or Bob Hoover (Yep! I'm old and I've been coming to Oshkosh since the first one). I really enjoy flybys by vintage, war birds, Staggerwings, big round engines and sitting on the burn line and watching arrivals and departures. Best thing of all: camping under your wing in the vintage area.
    L16 Pilot
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

I have heard of an seen written the term "show line" or maybe crowd line, but this is the first I have ever heard of "burn line".
    Is that on any FAA paper or waiver form?

Burn line is an term the EAA uses because the crowd line is "burned" into the grass by a heavy application of fertilizer or roundup or the like (which is neater and easier than trying to chalk or spray a line). We're talking about the crowd line. The public stays behind the line. I think for the Tbirds last even the people normally permitted in front of the line (other airshow performers/crews, etc...) had to move back.
    Last edited by FlyingRon; 12-19-2014 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    While we haven't finalized the entire air show lineup at this point, I can tell you that there are absolutely no plans for any movement of the burn/crowd line this year. To be extra clear, that means the showline will be back to "normal", and not altered like it was for the Thunderbirds.
    Thank you for your timely and reassuring reply, Hal! With what I'm hoping will be coming to AirVenture this year I can now go ahead and book flights at the beginning of January (=when I get the best deals).
    PS If 'Doc' and the BAHF C-97 are ready on time, wouldn't it be a nice idea to have the NASA Super Guppy present as well? Would make an excellent illustration of what the B-29 evolved into. (That, and the fact that they're all four-engined obviously.)