Thread: EAA Pole Hangar Plans

Question EAA Pole Hangar Plans

Hi, the post below in another forum mentions "EAA Pole Hangar Plans" and provides a link to an attachment in the now-defunct Oshkosh365 predecessor to this forum.

http://sportpilottalk.com/viewtopic....0f78d07a#p6864

Does anyone have those hangar plans?

Cheers,

Matthew
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Looks like that page was behind the members only wall on that site and hence Archive.org doesn't have it. Perhaps some of the EAA'ers still have a backup of that site somewhere.
    Note these don't appear to be the "EAA's" plans but something a member uploaded.

Hangars are just barns anyhow (that's were the word comes from the French). A pole barn probably isn't much different than a pole hangar as long as you make sure you've got enough clear space for whatever plane you wish to put there. Lots of info on building pole barns around the net.

All true, Ron, though most pole barns seem to have the perimeter wall poles spaced at a regular interval and rarely have any one opening wider than a double garage door. The wide, clear span is a complication that most barns don't need. I hope you're right and someone does have a copy. Cheers, Matthew
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by cluttonfred View Post
    All true, Ron, though most pole barns seem to have the perimeter wall poles spaced at a regular interval and rarely have any one opening wider than a double garage door. The wide, clear span is a complication that most barns don't need. I hope you're right and someone does have a copy. Cheers, Matthew
    That's not necessarily true. Lots of these are constructed to hold large combines and other equipment and often do have rather larger clear spans at least on one side. Most around these parts tend to be open on one side. Hell, the Udvar-Hazy center even built a glorified pole barn out on the south side of their ramp to store stuff in.

Quote Originally Posted by cluttonfred View Post
    most pole barns seem to have the perimeter wall poles spaced at a regular interval and rarely have any one opening wider than a double garage door. The wide, clear span is a complication that most barns don't need.
    My pole barn is constructed exactly like that - except on one of the long walls, a 40 ft angle iron truss type header was installed to span between the space usually occupied by some of the poles. A simple modification. It looks very homemade, I doubt much engineering other than TLAR was used, it's been standing since 1967 and I have lifted jet skis, a truck engine, 4000# lathe and milling machine either to/from a trailer from that beam.

You can order the trusses preengineered for any span. You just call up the place you're getting them and tell hem how long you need them to go. The "gable ends" don't support the trusses anyhow.

My own hangar which isn't a pole barn but just framed with regular 2x4 walls has the trusses going the WRONG WAY (perpendicular to the door rather than parallel. It only took a steal beam over the door and an I-beam midspan (which is handy as I have a chain hoist that rides a trolly on the bottom flange). If my roof had a bit more pitch, I could have gotten trusses that didn't need the midspan support but we were trying for the right "architectural look" as the hangar is attached to the house.

EAA Staff / Moderator Timm Bogenhagen's Avatar
    We have a 1-page pdf file that shows the plan to build a Cow Pasture Hangar as described in the February 1964 issue of Sport Aviation magazine. If you send me a PM at tbogenhagen@eaa.org I will send you a copy.
    Have Fun & Fly Safe!
    Timm
    EAA 379292
    MiniMAX 1600R
    Challenger II
    HiMAX - in progress