Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good first build airplane?

I am GROOT

We're also talking "First" build.... Hmmm How many people finish it...

Not many... a LOT of planes are finished by the 2nd or THIRD owner...

It might be best to come down to earth first...

I mean... The guy is making it hard on himself with the Apartment thing...

Buy a Hanger and live in that....?

Sounds like a Failed build already...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    What ever he builds... He better pick a plane with a support group...

He's already needing to be spoon fed on WHAT to build...

Does that sound like a good foundation ?

Too many people fall in love with the IDEA of building a plane...

Flash in the pan... and then things get Dusty.... and sold CHEAP
    Gotta Fly...
    Buttercup Building Log...( Very Detailed )

http://www.wingsforum.com/viewforum.php?f=320

Attached Images Attached Images    

Yep. which is why I also directed him to built aircraft for sale.

I was like him. I had plans to build an RV4 while I had my flying Challenger 2 CWS. Then I started hanging out with builders and was told the average build time of an RV is about 7 years. Then I started pricing the kits and components and found that I could buy flying examples for less than I could build them.

So 7 years and more money? I bought a Citabria and then a Pitts.

Still think about building a One Design…. But most likely never will.
    1996 Quad City Challenger CWS w/503 - Sold
    1974 7ECA Citabria - Sold
    1986 Pitts S1S

At this stage... If you decide to build one... You success increases... First... Your Flying already...

So you have a SOLID Idea on what you want.... Obviously... You know about Hanger fee...

and have SPACE for a project... and a Big plus for you... You'll SAVE money by doing your own Maintenance and Annuals ...
    I'm not trying to discourage the other guy from building...

Just trying to tell him to be HONEST with himself before he puts money into a project...

Projects that are NOT completed only bring in about HALF the money you put in it...

Less , if your craftsmanship isn't quite there...
    And sometimes , if the craftsmanship isn't there... It's a STATIC DISPLAY...
    Gotta Fly...

This is a great thread. For what its worth, I nominate the Sonerai. There is another factor that no one has mentioned:

The ladies.

The first time you uncork a jug of glue, solvent, paint, etc in that apartment will be a test of a relationship. The real moment of truth, however will be when you load up your lady for their first flight. As a group they prefer sitting next to you. They do not like tandem seating. I have been waiting for the more experienced forum members to bring this up. They are likely too tactful.

But what do I know?

Bob

There are LOTS of side-by-side possibilities, but since the OP specified "centerline seating" which was actually clarified later in the thread to mean a single-seater, that's where we went with the thread. With that in mind, the Sonerai I (with the fuselage welding contracted out) is an obvious choice but there are actually quite a few wood-and-fabric designs that would work, like the Taylor Titch and Corby Starlet.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

I've found the PERFECT tandem Aerobatic plane to build in your Apartment...
    The class is called "Radio Control".... R/C for short...
    Some times an Apartment is too small for this hobby...
    But most of the time it's manageable...
    As long as you keep it contained from spreading to the whole Apt...
    The Girlfriend of Wife will not like that...

Then... Continue "Dreaming" about building a REAL plane....
    But think about the things it takes to build it...
    an AREA to build is key...
    Can't afford a house ? How are you going to STORE a plane... Hanger or Garage cost will make an Apt living expensive...
    Gotta Fly...

Quote Originally Posted by Whallon.jesse View Post
    Two other considerations I forgot to mention is my location and build time line. I'm living in my apartment so anything with welding is out, I would need to hire someone or have a pre-welded fuselage shipped. Next is noise but I've built a dresser and a office table, pre warned the neighbors before I started hammering away and had no complaints about noise so I should, be ok if I maximize the use of hand tools. Build time estimations should be about 500 hours or basically be capable of finishing the project in 2 years. The one good thing about having the project in my living room is there is no way I can forget to work on it!

I like deej's response. I'm building a Thatcher CX4 and have looked into the Panther. I've partially built a Vans RV-9A and a Sonex. Sold both before completion for the very financial reasons you cited in your post. The RV-9A is not approved for aerobatics but the Sonex is. Sonex is a very small aircraft and can be built for around $25k. The Panther looks like an awesome aircraft. The CX4 is not aerobatic but the Panther certainly is. Let us know what you decide and best of luck.

I am Groot

So... I guess the real question would be... would you build it in an apartment ?

Quote Originally Posted by skyking135 View Post
    I like deej's response. I'm building a Thatcher CX4 and have looked into the Panther. I've partially built a Vans RV-9A and a Sonex. Sold both before completion for the very financial reasons you cited in your post. The RV-9A is not approved for aerobatics but the Sonex is. Sonex is a very small aircraft and can be built for around $25k. The Panther looks like an awesome aircraft. The CX4 is not aerobatic but the Panther certainly is. Let us know what you decide and best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by planecrazzzy View Post
    So... I guess the real question would be... would you build it in an apartment ?
    From a physical perspective, I think it is possible to build most of the CX4 in an apt. It is a fairly small aircraft, and the wings are designed for easy removal.

From a practical perspective, I think you would drive your neighbors crazy with the noise. Cutting aluminum, drilling holes, and installing pop rivets are all somewhat noisy, and easily heard through apt walls.

A one car garage should be possible, or even a storage unit, if anything is available nearby the apt. I'd use the apt for storage of parts, and the garage or storage unit for actual construction. If you were really motivated, you could try to build inside a fully enclosed trailer in the parking lot, which would also give you something to haul the aircraft in when you were finished.

Another option might be to rent the corner of someone's hangar. If the owner of the hangar had a high wing aircraft, you might even be able to rent a section of a T-hangar to build.

-Dj

I would add my vote for Onex. You state that you are building in an apartment, so you must have neighbors in close proximity. Onex uses pop rivets, so building it would generate much less noise than an RV with its driven rivets. No toxic fumes from composite construction is a plus. No sawdust from a wooden design also a plus.