Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good first build airplane?

Good first build airplane?

Hello,

I've been reading and dreaming for years about building and flying my own plane but have always been thrown by the cost. I think I was spoiled early on when I got to ride in my friends RV-8 and have wanted one ever since! I simply don't have the time or resources for such a project and need something a little more reasonable. The goal for my undertaking a kit build plane is half educational, half recreational. I really want to understand the ins and outs of what makes a plane fly and fly well, the fact that I can get a real flying machine to go hop around in the sky is a real bonus. I was hoping the community could help me zero in on some good airplanes maybe I'm not thinking of, I'll list my requirements and specifications below.

Must have - Center-line seating. Either mid wing/low wing design or high wing not positioned directly over pilot. Some aerobatic ability, +6/-4 would be ideal.
    Would like - Ability to be moved on a trailer, folding wings/removable wings. Decent forward visibility. Usable in IAC Primary/Sportsman. Welding of structures complete and shipped as a whole.
    Don't care - Baggage room, avionics, quick build options.

Budget: 23,000 - 40,000
    Build Location - My apartment!
    Time line - 2 - 2.5 Years

The only planes that I see which fit are the Rans s9 Chaos and the Sonerai.
    Last edited by Whallon.jesse; 12-11-2014 at 04:13 PM.

A good scrounger would be able to build an RV-4 with that budget. Find an abandoned kit, a used engine, etc...

If you're happy with a single seat, a Onex would fit your budget easily, is aerobatic to +6/-4, and has folding wings for ease in storage and/or transport.
    Bill

I think Onex too. The reason is, and this is absolutely not a dig at Randy Schlitter, Onex is going to have a better manual than S9 due to the numbers on the market and how the feedback from builders is re-incorporated. Purely IMHO, of course.

Point of order...by "centerline seating" I am going to assume that you meant two seats in tandem, otherwise you'd have just said that you wanted a single seater.

For economical speed with aerobatic capability it's hard to beat a Sonerai II. I know you said you wanted a pre-welded fuselage but I still wouldn't rule it out. Steve Bennett might be able to put you in touch with someone who could make one for you, or you could find a local shop to take it on. Even if you were to cut the tubing yourself, tack weld it and then have a pro finish it up for you, it's still very doable. Any of those options would likely come in cheaper (and the latter a lot cheaper) than a full kit in a box.

This would help keep you at the low end of your price range so you could spend the money for a great engine properly modified for aerobatics.

Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Great topic but tell us a bit more about you? Have you taken or started lessons? If taken what airplanes do you have time in? Why tandem seating? Why mid or low wing? Help us focus in on where you are at and why you are aiming in the listed direction.
    You can build an RV-12 EAB with a Viking Engine ( or refirbed conventional one) right at your $40,000. Resale value would be good and plenty of support. wings come off very easily. Only negative is the side by seating - which many prefer.
    Jim

A closer look at the RV-12 in EAB stripes with a 13,000 engine is right at 40K. But to really help this member we need to know more about his aspirations. Otherwise we just offer our dream planes against his dream plane and not offering a reality check. Many dream of aerobatic flight but few have stomach or disposition for the rigors of competition. The OP has yet to offer us his level of mastery so we can offer a best fit.
    Last edited by Jim Heffelfinger; 12-11-2014 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Heffelfinger View Post
    You can build an RV-12 EAB with a Viking Engine ( or refirbed conventional one) right at your $40,000. Resale value would be good
    I think this is misleading. Resale value for the Van's line is good, probably the best in the industry, with a proper engine. Alternative engine RVs typically sell for a small percent of what a conventional engine equipped model would sell for, all else being equal. This is doubly true for those alternative engine companies with poor reputations.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Heffelfinger View Post
    Great topic but tell us a bit more about you? Have you taken or started lessons? If taken what airplanes do you have time in? Why tandem seating? Why mid or low wing? Help us focus in on where you are at and why you are aiming in the listed direction.
    You can build an RV-12 EAB with a Viking Engine ( or refirbed conventional one) right at your $40,000. Resale value would be good and plenty of support. wings come off very easily. Only negative is the side by seating - which many prefer.
    Jim
    The RV-12 kit alone (no engine) is right at $40k. That one's probably out.

You could look at the s9 Chaos and s10 Sakota.

The s10 can take two people side by side, or fly single seat in the middle. I have not flown either, but people say the s9 is quite the plane.

If I were looking to build something…. I'd build a D107 One Design.

Must have:
    Center-line seating - Done

Either mid wing/low wing design or high wing not positioned directly over pilot - Mid wing

Some aerobatic ability, +6/-4 would be ideal - +10/-10

Would like:
    Ability to be moved on a trailer - No clue

folding wings/removable wings - No clue

Decent forward visibility - Not bad, but I fly a Pitts so anything is an upgrade

Usable in IAC Primary/Sportsman - Will do Primary/Sportsman/Int/Advanced

Welding of structures complete and shipped as a whole - Not available, but you can find kits that have been started all the time.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo.../onedesign.php

http://dr107.net/Articles/About_the_...out_dr-107.htm

And a flight report
    http://www.airbum.com/pireps/PirepOneDesign.html
    Last edited by ssmdive; 12-09-2014 at 07:14 AM.
    1996 Quad City Challenger CWS w/503 - Sold
    1974 7ECA Citabria - Sold
    1986 Pitts S1S

Three aircraft I haven't seen mentioned yet that seem to fit your listed specs are:
    Thatcher CX4 (single seater) and CX5 (two seats in tandem) - found at http://www.thatchercx4.com/
    Panther - found at http://flywithspa.com/

All three have center line seating and folding wing options, and can easily be built in your price range. Some have claimed CX4 builds for $15k.