Thread: Good first build airplane?

Regarding building in Living Quarters,
    have a look at this video by a local TV station;
    https://youtu.be/7rTI2tj2WWk
    Best Regards from Alaska.

apartment

Quote Originally Posted by Whallon.jesse View Post
    Hello,

I've been reading and dreaming for years about building and flying my own plane but have always been thrown by the cost. I think I was spoiled early on when I got to ride in my friends RV-8 and have wanted one ever since! I simply don't have the time or resources for such a project and need something a little more reasonable. The goal for my undertaking a kit build plane is half educational, half recreational. I really want to understand the ins and outs of what makes a plane fly and fly well, the fact that I can get a real flying machine to go hop around in the sky is a real bonus. I was hoping the community could help me zero in on some good airplanes maybe I'm not thinking of, I'll list my requirements and specifications below.

Must have - Center-line seating. Either mid wing/low wing design or high wing not positioned directly over pilot. Some aerobatic ability, +6/-4 would be ideal.
    Would like - Ability to be moved on a trailer, folding wings/removable wings. Decent forward visibility. Usable in IAC Primary/Sportsman. Welding of structures complete and shipped as a whole.
    Don't care - Baggage room, avionics, quick build options.

Budget: 23,000 - 40,000
    Build Location - My apartment!
    Time line - 2 - 2.5 Years

The only planes that I see which fit are the Rans s9 Chaos and the Sonerai.
    From direct experience a long time ago, make sure your landlord is ok with this project. Friend had to move an incomplete project out of his apartment after the landlord inspected the place and evicted him. Some incomplete projects are more difficult to move than others. No point in starting a project like this then having to scrap it part way though.

Bill H.

Cub

Quote Originally Posted by Whallon.jesse View Post
    Hello,

I've been reading and dreaming for years about building and flying my own plane but have always been thrown by the cost. I think I was spoiled early on when I got to ride in my friends RV-8 and have wanted one ever since! I simply don't have the time or resources for such a project and need something a little more reasonable. The goal for my undertaking a kit build plane is half educational, half recreational. I really want to understand the ins and outs of what makes a plane fly and fly well, the fact that I can get a real flying machine to go hop around in the sky is a real bonus. I was hoping the community could help me zero in on some good airplanes maybe I'm not thinking of, I'll list my requirements and specifications below.

Must have - Center-line seating. Either mid wing/low wing design or high wing not positioned directly over pilot. Some aerobatic ability, +6/-4 would be ideal.
    Would like - Ability to be moved on a trailer, folding wings/removable wings. Decent forward visibility. Usable in IAC Primary/Sportsman. Welding of structures complete and shipped as a whole.
    Don't care - Baggage room, avionics, quick build options.

Budget: 23,000 - 40,000
    Build Location - My apartment!
    Time line - 2 - 2.5 Years

The only planes that I see which fit are the Rans s9 Chaos and the Sonerai.
    Wag-aero does make a near perfect replica J3 cub kit and offers a fully welded fuselage.

https://www.wagaero.com/wag-aero-kit...t-trainer.html

Bill H.

You might want to check out the Morgan Aeroworks designs from Australia. It's a well-established company not well known outside Australia producing straightforward fabric-covered, pop-riveted aluminum tubing designs with premolded fiberglass wing ribs, cowlings, fairings, etc. Their Super Diamond four-stroke single-seater can take many engines in the 60-80 hp range and they have a new Super Diamond Twister model coming out that is approved for aerobatics. The U.S. dollar is pretty strong against the Australian dollar these days so the complete kits less motor, instruments, paint and upholstery run about $14-18k for the single-seater though I don't know what shipping or import duties would run. Here is one of their two-seaters uncovered so you can see the construction method.

Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft