Thread: Magazine Archives

Magazine Archives

Can someone post a link to the archives for Vintage magazine?

I can't find one anywhere.

Thanks,

Kyle
    Last edited by Kyle Boatright; 12-03-2014 at 09:02 PM.

I called EAA and asked them the same question a few weeks ago after I joined Vintage. There isn't an electronic archive for Vintage. They were able to mail a hard copy of the issue I was looking for, so that might be an option for you.

But I would love to see a Vintage archive come online one day.

~Chris
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

Quote Originally Posted by Chris In Marshfield View Post
    I called EAA and asked them the same question a few weeks ago after I joined Vintage. There isn't an electronic archive for Vintage. They were able to mail a hard copy of the issue I was looking for, so that might be an option for you.

But I would love to see a Vintage archive come online one day.

~Chris
    Selected issues (or articles - can't remember) used to be available online. That link is broken for me now.

I wonder how much it would cost Vintage to scan the material and host an archive?

That would be a nice thing for them to add to the "To do list"...

There's a new head of the VAA, http://www.postcrescent.com/story/mo...ions/20325801/maybe she would be interested in getting that project started.

Remember that the EAA is a member organization and most of the work done for the organization is done by volunteers and donors. The online archive of Sport Aviation Magazine was made due to a donor who proposed the idea and then funded the scanning. You might want to start by formally suggesting the archive for Vintage to its editor and then taking action to see it through. I would not count on wish lists or to-do lists to make it happen, its up to the volunteers to improve services in my opinion.

John Craparo
    EAA Lifetime Member
    youcanflynow.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Craparo View Post
    Remember that the EAA is a member organization and most of the work done for the organization is done by volunteers and donors. The online archive of Sport Aviation Magazine was made due to a donor who proposed the idea and then funded the scanning. You might want to start by formally suggesting the archive for Vintage to its editor and then taking action to see it through. I would not count on wish lists or to-do lists to make it happen, its up to the volunteers to improve services in my opinion.

John Craparo
    EAA Lifetime Member
    youcanflynow.com
    EAA sold a DVD copy of the archives 10+ years ago. Those archives were not available online until several years later. As someone who bought the DVD set, I was a bit conflicted when the material became a standard (AKA free) member benefit. That said, I assumed that the members who bought the DVD's were the ones who footed the bill.

Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    EAA sold a DVD copy of the archives 10+ years ago. Those archives were not available online until several years later. As someone who bought the DVD set, I was a bit conflicted when the material became a standard (AKA free) member benefit. That said, I assumed that the members who bought the DVD's were the ones who footed the bill.
    I guess you just need to be thankful for a ten-year head start?

I have had similar experiences with other organizations.

To quote WC Fields when flying through cloudy skies and the pilot asked him to look down and report what he saw: "The sun".

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Can someone post a link to the archives for Vintage magazine?

I can't find one anywhere.

Thanks,

Kyle
    Kyle, it is in the members section of www.vintageaircraft.org if you didn't find it. Looks like our fabulous volunteer staff is up to early 2013 for the online archive.

Jim
    Vintage member
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    Kyle, it is in the members section of www.vintageaircraft.org if you didn't find it. Looks like our fabulous volunteer staff is up to early 2013 for the online archive.

Jim
    Vintage member
    Thanks, Jim.

Here's the actual link if you're a Vintage member:

http://members.eaavintage.org/v-a-magazine/back-issues/