I think Bill is definitely on to something with the jealousy issue. Let me take it a step further. One of the big problems with the pedestrian/ vehicle interactions at Oshkosh is that, frankly, too many pedestrians are walking around with poor situational awareness. Oshkosh just lends itself to a lot of "ooh look at that!" moments, plus in this era too many are walking while looking down at their phones instead of around them. In my time as a volunteer I've driven literally thousands of miles inside the Oshkosh grounds in everything from a scooter to a pickup truck, so I've seen the other side of this. Many's the time I've been driving, at a safe speed paying close attention, only to have someone wander in front of me necessitating evasive action because they weren't paying attention. Some even give the stink eye or say something smart, mostly as a balm to their egos, I think.

The restricted vehicle zone around airshow center has absolutely cut down on the amount of vehicle traffic in that area, and anyone who says otherwise is just wrong. However, as a consequence, it has also forced more traffic to the periphery (it has to go somewhere) and increased vehicle/ pedestrian interaction in those areas. Hint- if you are walking on asphalt with lines painted on it, it's a road and you might want to look around before you wander across it.