Thread: Avionics

Avionics

Hi guys, new member here and intrigued about the new options before me with respect to avionics. Only familiar with the avionics I am used to in certified aircraft like Bendix, King, etc...
    Can anyone suggest a website or thread that could get me up to speed on the avionics we are now seeing in homebuilt aircraft? Looks like some amazing options but am ready to get my feet wet in investigating these companies. Looking at an RV7A and thinking along those lines.

Great website!

Cheers.

Lots of info at the AEA.NET, a industry group for avionics. They regularly have a booth at Oshkosh. They send me a gratis copy of their Avionics News every month. Of course, that really covers only the certificated market stuff primarily (occasionally they talk about issues with homebuilts but it is rare).

For keeping abreast of everything else, I just spend a lot of time in the booths at SnF and Oshkosh.

Thanks Ron. Any info on the premier avionics suppliers to EAA like Dynon, etc...?
    Appreciate the link to AEA.NET looks like an interesting site!

Other than hitting their individual sites, I don't know of any general avionics resources targeted specifically at the experimental market.

Thanks Ron. I'll start digging into the research.
    Garry

I have Grand Rapids units in my RV and have been happy with them, hope that helps. Glenn
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Quote Originally Posted by Cervelott View Post
    Hi guys, new member here and intrigued about the new options before me with respect to avionics. Only familiar with the avionics I am used to in certified aircraft like Bendix, King, etc...
    Can anyone suggest a website or thread that could get me up to speed on the avionics we are now seeing in homebuilt aircraft? Looks like some amazing options but am ready to get my feet wet in investigating these companies. Looking at an RV7A and thinking along those lines.

Great website!

Cheers.
    There are dozens of flight instrument choices available in the experimental community. Since you are considering an RV-7A (excellent choice!) you will get a huge amount of background info by searching the archives of the VansAirForce forum:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/index.php

Use the search engine by searching for the brand name of the EFIS you researching. I assume you have already studied the website for each of the EFIS manufacturers. Most vendors offer free downloads of the user manuals for their devices.

Enjoy window shopping!
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log