Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glasair 1rg build time

Glasair 1rg build time

Hi there,
    I was curious about a partially complete glasair 1rg kit that I found for sale and started googling around for info, but I haven't been able to find the estimated time it would take to complete the whole aircraft. If anyone could please tell me, that would be great. Thanks

Really hard to say. What stage of completion is it now? How experienced are you with building? Those are more important questions in my view. Glasair I's are pretty lengthy builds by today's kit standards but if it's well along it might be much less in terms of time. If it is well along, how confident are you in your ability to pick up the project midstream? Glasairs are great planes, lots of fun to build, but you asked a tough question in this case.

The advertisement says the plane is about 50% complete. It is still missing an engine, instruments, and interior. I am still a student pilot but my father and I are both fairly good with tools, however this would be our first aircraft build.
    Last edited by amiller; 11-20-2014 at 08:05 PM.

I would recomend going and finding someone near you that is building a glasair. Spend some time asking questions and carefully looking at the process. If you conclude that it is something you want to do, then go for it.

OK. Thanks

I would plan 2000-2500 man hrs to complete the project. Of course, I'm optimistic.

Build time depends a great deal on how driven you are and how quickly you pick up skills. A 2 year project for one person may be a 10 year project for another. The GlasAir 1 is a great flying plane, but at pattern speed, the nose tends to wonder a bit in pitch. Seems to me there is a mod for larger tail feathers that addresses low speed stability issues. If you're a big guy, getting in and out may be difficult. As others have recommended, go find a GlasAir builder and see how much time he's put in, and how long he's been working on it. Get your hands into some glass work. Composite fabrication is universally hated by those that haven't done much of it (and the vinylester resins smell really bad), but once you develop some skills and learn what you're doing, you will be amazed at how quickly you can fab up composite parts.

-Cub Builder

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by cub builder View Post
    Build time depends ... (and the vinylester resins smell really bad), ...

-Cub Builder
    Some of us have learned to love the smell of curing VE.

BJC

Quote Originally Posted by Byron J. Covey View Post

BJC
    actualy true....hangar just feels right with the presents of that odor.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron J. Covey View Post

BJC
    My olfactory senses are sufficiently damaged to enjoy the smell of vinylester resins , but to the uninitiated (and often times the spouse if you're building at home), it's like that first bite of a red hot chili! It takes some time and multiple exposures to adapt.

Vinylester isn't my first choice of resin for construction, but GlasAir chose it for a number of reasons, part of which is the flexibility of temperatures and conditions for construction. Another was the cost for their premolded parts as prepregs cost a lot more to produce. Once you convince yourself the smell of vinylester curing is the smell of progress, it grows on you.

-Cub Builder