I have a Glasair I-RG, although I'm not the original builder, it appears the total build time on my plane was in the 2500 hour range. My plane was started by the original purchaser in 1988, bought by the subsequent builder in 1991 at approx. the "30% done" stage (tail feathers completed, fuselage halves joined), and completed in mid-1995, about 7 calendar years hands-on build time based on the logs with the builder putting in solid work every month from purchase to certification.

Be sure to look for the large size rudder upgrade, if the kit has the original small tail feathers, call Glasair Aviation first to make sure the upgrade kits are still in stock or can be obtained before you commit to purchase. This is especially critical if the kit has the extended wingtip option -- there's an SB that makes it essentially mandatory to have the large rudder with extended wingtips, take a look at the service letters and bulletins section on Glasairaviation.com for the G-1 and you'll learn a lot of what to look for on any kit purchase.

Lastly, and probably most importantly, make sure full and complete builder's logs with pictures convey with any kit purchase, it is helpful to also have the original kit purchase invoice and receipts for any subsequent upgrade purchases -- without these you may run into significant problems when it comes time for initial inspection and airworthiness certification. Make sure all volumes of the builder's manuals are present as well plus installation instructions for any optional upgrades.

I have had good experience with Performance One Aviation's Heath L'Hoste who did the pre-buy on my plane as well as it's first annual condition inspection. Heath would be a good expert to answer questions as well. Other Glasair experts I know of include Lou Kits at Kitplanes Northwest, Lannie Rundell at Legend Aircraft, and Brad Simmons at Airframes Inc.

All the best,
Reggie