Quote Originally Posted by Marc Zeitlin View Post
Since you haven't said what strobe you have purchased or whether it's "approved" (TSO'd is really the only way to be officially "approved", unless you've got all the specs for the light showing that it meets the standards, and even then, there's no guarantee, as my COZY friend found out), it's hard to say whether what you have will "work", legally.
There is no TSO for experimental A/B aircraft lighting.

Generally, when I do Tech Counselor inspections for folks, I tell them to either leave all lighting off their aircraft for the AC inspection, and then use their judgement with respect to the OL's requirements per 91.205 for installing lights later on, or else just get TSO'd lighting systems so there's no question one way or the other for the inspection
The person inspecting the aircraft is not "approving" the aircraft for night flying any more than they are approving the airplane for IFR flying. So if a builder has his plane "equipped" for IFR flying, are you saying the inspector will approve or reject his installed equipment for that purpose? I call Baloney. The OL's will say to fly the plane under condition "x" then it has to comply with "y". If it doesn't, simply can't operate under that condition. It's not grounds for refusing to issue a SAC for the aircraft.