Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why no homebuilt larger planes?

Why no homebuilt larger planes?

When I look at the list of available plans and kits that Kitplanes compiles annually, I notice a dearth of twins and singles with more than four seats. I would think the trend would be toward larger aircraft as the ratio of pilots to non-pilots declines. Also, I would think the astronomical prices of standard airworthiness certificated larger aircraft would drive demand for homebuilt alternatives.

So, why are there so few homebuilt larger planes?

There have been a few large, homebuilt aircraft like the Murphy Moose and the larger AeroComp models, but sheer cost and the fairly limited number of people who need a real haulder limit the market. The price ratio of new homebuilt vs. used factory-built plane would be even more extreme in this category than in single- and two-seaters. For twins, given the cost of engines and fuel, the ratio would be even more striking.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Also most larger aircraft are used (or once were used) commercially and homebuilts can't be used for commercial operations. Few would want the expense of building and operating a larger aircraft with a very limited resale market.

If I had my druthers, Dean Wilson's Pvt. Explorer is one large homebuilt I'd like to own. Something about a flying camper appeals to me.

Banned
    As to the "why" you pose, I'll echo the cogent reasons already expressed above. Plus I'll add the fact that the utility of large haulers diminishes greatly when you actually want to go somewhere with a load because you need to add vast amounts of fuel.

However, if you still want something huge(seats 8) and can build then this is the airplane for you. Unlike Explorer Aircraft mentioned, which I believe is mostly inactive, this one exists and they have exhibited at Oshkosh for a number of years including this year. You can use their builder assist program and have one ready to fly in 10 months. All you need is $1.6 million. All the best.

http://www.sherpaaircraft.com/

I know it isn't a large plane but I was always very interested in the EcoFlyer. Granted it was a Rotax powered LSA complient plane, but it looked like a mini camper. Unfortunately the designer perished and that ended it. Looked like one could very easily overload it.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ils0QezjRL8

Quote Originally Posted by WWhunter View Post
    I know it isn't a large plane but I was always very interested in the EcoFlyer.
    I thought it was unique as well. A camper/plane is a good idea to me - perhaps because I slept in the back of airplanes for a couple yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by dougbush View Post
    When I look at the list of available plans and kits that Kitplanes compiles annually, I notice a dearth of twins and singles with more than four seats. I would think the trend would be toward larger aircraft as the ratio of pilots to non-pilots declines. Also, I would think the astronomical prices of standard airworthiness certificated larger aircraft would drive demand for homebuilt alternatives.

So, why are there so few homebuilt larger planes?
    I would suggest that even a "small" two seater is a huge project, often taking a builder a decade to complete. Add a larger airframe, more systems, etc. and the project becomes unmanageably large, at least in the eyes of most prospective builders.

I've been building a Murphy Super Rebel (Moose). I purchased the kit when all the kids were home, but now it is just my wife and me. So, I have a long build, very large airplane with a commensurately larger and more expensive engine, and my operating costs will be higher. In addition, the sheer size requires a very large workshop. That said, I can haul enough beer to keep everyone happy in homebuilt camping at Oshkosh. I just passed the 2000 hour point in the build, and am nearing engine/avionics installation.
    Jerry Folkerts

I have always wanted to build something I would call the Cargo Camper. It would be a mix between a Cessna Caravan and a Shorts SA-7. It would have a large Diesel engine on the nose and a boxy fuselage with the wing mounted on the top, in kind of a lifting body way like a Shorts 360. A ramp door on the rear to load a four wheeler or similar, fold down seats/cots like a C-130 down the side walls and fixed tricycle gear. Capable of 6000 lbs. gross weight with a strut braced high wing. It would not have to be fast, 100 knots would be fine as long as I have a good autopilot and a coffee pot! Me and that airplane could both sip hot liquids as we travel to this country's airshows.