Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why no homebuilt baby Cessnas?

Why no homebuilt baby Cessnas?

The late Harris L. Woods lost his life in 1975 in the prototype Aerosport Condor, a simple, VW-powered, all-metal, strut-braced, high-wing two-place design inspired by his earlier cantilever-wing, single-seat Quail. The NTSB accident report indicates that one of the ailerons tore off in flight, suggesting destructive flutter. Development of the Condor ended with his death, which is too bad, as there doesn't seem to have been anything fundamentally wrong with the design that couldn't have been sorted out.

Regardless, given the fact that so many of us learned to fly in and often still do fly Cessna "spam cans," the configuration and construction are known quantities, so I am pretty surprised that no one is offering a simple, easy-to-build, all-metal high wing design. Not a bushplane or a racer, just a nice little general purpose design like the Condor suitable for the 80-100 hp range that includes the big VW conversions, Rotax 912 models, Jabiru, D-Motor, ULPower, etc. Basically, it would be a high-wing Sonex equivalent, but perhaps with a little more wing area to facilitate operation from smaller fields.

Are there designs out there that I am missing? Thoughts on whether or not such a type would be well-received?

Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by cluttonfred View Post
    "Not a bushplane or a racer,"
    and "but perhaps with a little more wing area to facilitate operation from smaller fields."

I think you inadvertently answered your own question. You just started designing a bush plane. Once you add "a little more wing area" then shortly you'll want a longer gear for better prop clearance, then larger tires, then a bigger engine to make up for the extra weight... and pretty soon you have a bush plane.

I think the market has spoken and, outside of the bushplanes, people seem to prefer a low-wing configuration for most types of flying, even if they started out in a Cessna. I learned to drive in a '73 AMC Matador wagon, and while I'll always have a small fondness for that old car, I certainly don't want to drive one today!
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Thanks, Jeff, though I am not sure that I agree. There do seem to be quite a few high-wing composite or tube and fabric LSAs, would a high-wing counterpart to the the RV-12 really be such a stretch?
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info

Quote Originally Posted by cluttonfred View Post
    Thanks, Jeff, though I am not sure that I agree. There do seem to be quite a few high-wing composite or tube and fabric LSAs, would a high-wing counterpart to the the RV-12 really be such a stretch?
    Didn't the Murphy Maverick fit that description?

I will suggest that while I own a Cessna (182), I never get up in the morning saying "boy I want to go fly me Cessna!". They are great utility machines, reliable, an easy to fly, and make me look like I might be a pretty good pilot. But they offer no excitement at all. My Pitts Special is a whole 'nother story. An Aviat Husky on floats gets me excited too. But a Cessna, or an airplane that looks like it, is the minivan of aviation. Hauls your stuff around but nothing to brag about.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS
    N6234A

Wes has it. It takes real inspiration and dedication to build an airplane. Cessnas do not inspire. You can buy Cessnas pretty cheap anyway and maybe even have money left over to build an airplane that actually excites you. ;-)

Thanks, guys, but just a reminder that I am not talking about building a replica Cessna, just wondering at the lack of all-metal, high-wing kits and plans.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info

Well it's not ALL metal, but here's one I know I was hoping would be turned into a kit:
    http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=615390307001

Remember the Savor?

Zenith makes a high-wing, strut-braced, all metal two-place kit: http://www.zenithair.com/stolch750/index-cruzer.html

I think the market has spoken and, outside of the bushplanes, people seem to prefer a low-wing configuration for most types of flying, even if they started out in a Cessna. I learned to drive in a '73 AMC Matador wagon, and while I'll always have a small fondness for that old car, I certainly don't want to drive one today!
    I think that is just a perception based on the overwhelming popularity of the Vans series of aircraft. I see plenty of homebuilt high wings Highlanders, 750's, Kitfox…etc.
    1996 Quad City Challenger CWS w/503 - Sold
    1974 7ECA Citabria - Sold
    1986 Pitts S1S