Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OSH 2015 For a first timer

Goggles OSH 2015 For a first timer

Never been to OSH. But going at least once is on the bucket list. Living on the west coast means going will not be a small trivial trip, but then it also says to go for the whole week. This is probably going to take some advance planning. So I am seeking suggestions on how to crack this nut from those who have BTDT and have the T-shirt.

One of the questions is where to stay:

The college dorm option sounds interesting with a real bed, hot showers, flush toilets, etc. I suspect there are regular shuttle bus services back and forth to the show that support this? Downsides/upsides from those who have tried this?

Camping onsite at Camp Scholler has some attraction as well. Could fly in commercial and bring tent/gear. Closer to the action, total immersion. Likely more people interaction opportunities. I understand there are showers but are they warm? How big of a deal is rain for tent campers?

As background I have attended two Boy Scout National Jamboree's as an adult leader. So I have some experience with getting together with 30-40 thousand close friends and creating an instant city for a week and then all leaving it the way we found it (more or less). I have tried "ambient" showers but did not care for them much. I have walked miles and miles every day. I have survived Virginia and West Virginia thunderstorms. With a solar charger I can live off the grid (but not off the 'net). Sleeping on a cot is a lot better than sleeping on the ground. A week away from home pretty much means doing laundry... either in a machine or in a bucket. And I am crazy enough that I did it more than once and would probably do it again.

So what would you recommend to a first timer figuring out how best to go to Osh? (apart from the obvious go for the entire time and plan on not seeing everything
    )

First Timer to OSH

Well let me comment with my vast experience of one OSH and like you waited too late in life to go. I fly for a living and OSH renewed my love of aviation. We went with my wife, my son and my 2 year old grandson. All did fantastic, even after walking 18 miles according to my pedometer in three days. We stayed in a hotel in Fond Du Lac and it was about a 20-30 minute ride each way. We booked a motorhome rental for next year for several reasons. 1. When anyone gets tired we can slip back to the motorhome and rest. This would allow us to do the evening and night festivities. 2. Allow us to stay longer. My son and his family are only coming up for about three to four days but my wife said she wanted to be there for the entire AirVenture. Now, based upon my limited experience and I know that some old timers will fill in better information than I can provide. Your decision to stay for the entire week is good. I was amazed at the organization, the logistics and the friendliness of all the volunteers. A good friend and an old timer told us to not try to see it all in one year and that took a lot of pressure to rush through areas. I have friends that have done the dorms and like them but with my wife and little kids we decided that wasn't the best match for us. Camping in a tent would be fine depending upon the weather. We are planning on staying in a camp ground on the property or close to it called Happy Hollow or Camp Scholler. The shuttles - school buses and tractors pulling big shuttles run every where. Signs are posted as to stops and you can get on and off at different areas. If you fly in with your camping gear, be sure to check with an old timer as to how to get supplies...I think that a shuttle will take you to an area you can walk to a store. There are camping areas for different types of aircraft i.e. War Birds etc. I think you have to be a member of those groups to stay there. Again not sure. Look over maps and download the Air Venture App to your phone and it will give you daily updates, schedules, maps etc. Hopefully the weather will be as good this year as last. You mentioned being with 30 - 40 K people at scout rallies....try 500,000 at OSH. I also recommend a supply of handkerchiefs....to wipe your chin of drool as you ooh and ahh over some absolutely beautiful airplanes and meet some super friendly people. The ONLY downside we had at OSH.....Was the AOPA tent where we went to see our new Debonair...it even spoke to me and said it wanted to come to live in Texas with me but they must have dropped my card and gave it to some lucky guy in Minnesota.
    Last edited by Md11pilot; 11-07-2014 at 11:38 AM.

I would say that you are certainly mentally prepared for camping at Airventure. I have done that with my family for five years now. I also do camping with the BSA in Virginia (and Seabase) so I understand the experience you are bringing. If you like the camping experience you will feel right at home in Oshkosh. If you have a grill and an ice chest, you can cook yourself (always nice to have the option.) I always fly out with the bare essential camping supplies and my wife comes with the ground support equipment, which includes the field kitchen. Probably not an option for you. Food on site is plentiful, although not cheap, with a much better variety than years past. The shuttle service, as has been noted, is excellent and includes taking you to the local shopping area, where there are variety of restaurants (including some truly excellent pizza.) The wonderful thing about camping is waking up to the sound of merlin engines, going to the flight line at dawn and taking some awesome pictures, and -- as you write -- being in the heart of it.

Shower facilities are good. There is hot water, but you may want to choose off-peak hours as the line can get long. Wifi is, well, its better than it was but still not to be relied upon. Cell connection is better each year and I had no issue this past year with access. (Except for knowing that my 17 year old sone was rapidly going through my data plan.) Scholler is nice and the shuttles run frequently but it is still a bit far from the main action…unless you pitch your tent about the 4th of July. I have done Scholler and Warbirds (I am a WoA member) and prefer Warbirds as it is so much closer to the action.

It will rain at least once. More likely more. It is also more than likely you will get one truly awesome thunderstorm. You have been through that and you you what it takes to get through it. Make sure your tent is truly battened down well.

I know other people who use the dorms and are quite happy with that. As my wife and I get older and children start off on their own, I may do that too. I am a retired Army officer and as the local Scoutmaster has remarked, for retired soldiers there seems to be a whole life limit on camping.

Dorms or camping, I can guarantee you will have fun.
    Last edited by Mayhemxpc; 11-07-2014 at 03:50 PM.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

I've camped in the dorms, I've camped in the North 40 with the plane, I've camped in vintage with the plane, I've camped in Scholler (with a tent out the back of my suburban), I've lugged a small tent in when I flew in commercial (though I ended up camping in Vintage anyhow).

I'd definitely camp on field. It's the most convenient and you're in the show.

I don't even take my camping gear home anymore. It's in a storage locker south of the field.

I've camped and stayed in the dorms. Dorm this year, plan to camp with my airplane in Vintage next year. Here's a pitch for the dorms.

They're comfortable and easy. Bus service is reliable, frequent and pretty quick. You may be able to get an air-conditioned room, if not, bring a fan. Lot of opportunities for meeting people, probably as much as in camping. Food in the cafeteria is excellent, too plentiful, and not too expensive. Dorms are almost certainly quieter than camping. They are also more expensive.

Either way, you'll have a great time.

Mike

Turn-key RV in Scholler is also a nice option. There are RV dealers that have it set up and waiting for you. I know of one that even provides a feast for their group every evening. Of course, it costs more, but you're right there with the daytime nap option and convenience of a private full kitchen, bath and bed. I pull a 25' tow-behind toyhauler RV that is the perfect Oasis for me. I wake up early and start with ultralights flying in the sunrise, then take in some great evening entertainment after the crowds are way down. If you're going to be there all week, go to the volunteer booth and volunteer for a day or two. Most shifts are only a few hours and it will give you a different perspective as you become a part of it.

I've always camped in Scholler, always enjoyed it. I camp somewhat far from the flightline, the further south you are, the better the Ultralight action is in the evening. That's what makes camping so fun. There is always something to see flying, even when you are at camp and not on the flight line.

I have stayed in an OSH motel three time and in a pop-up camper in Scholler twice. I'm pushing sixty and like the creature comforts but Scholler is a great way to do OSH. The shower facilities are first rate, I've never had to wait more than a moment or two, and the water was always warm or warmer (I don't do cold showers). The campgrounds let you enjoy OSH without waiting for a bus or wasting time in transit.

IMO the only real choice is underwing or in the campground.

I've done local motels, camped in Scholler at least ten times, staid in the dorms, and camped in HBC.

The only one I don't recommend is the local motels. The others all have a few positives and a few negatives, but you will enjoy yourself regardless if you're in the dorms or camping at the airport.

I did HBC this past year and am planning on going back to the dorms for next year. While I enjoy camping, my back doesn't so I'm going for more creature comfort in the dorm.

bob
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Last year, I stayed at the university dorms which was a better option than camping because I came from Australia. I can highly recommend this style of accommodation because, as you have noted, you are provided with a 'real' bed, showers, toilets , aircon if you choose this option and the excellent (and cheap) shuttle bus service to the airshow. Furthermore, you get to meet some very interesting people from all over the USA and the world at meal times. Last year, the meals were excellent (and reasonably priced -$14 eat until you burst) plus they opened a bar from which you could buy beers and wine. What else could anyone ask for? Hope you have a great time at next year's Oshkosh. I look forward to attending in 2015.