Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Posters in the Hangar?

Posters in the Hangar?

Hi, All;

When I first moved into my hangar, I decided to hang all of my Amoolia posters on the walls. The problem is, they don't stay. ( I use 3M HD picture hooks and Velcro.) Either the wind blows them off, or the backs, being corrugated cardboard in cheap WallyMart poster frames warps, which pops-off the edge pieces.

Does anyone know of an easy way to mount posters on steel hangar walls? I am not allowed to drill holes in the walls. I'd like to spend no more than $10/poster, given the number I have.

Thanks for any suggestions;

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Banned
    Let's determine truth in advertising. Gorilla brand tape claims it sticks anything to anything. Try it.

Check this out. You can search for them on Amazon too:

http://www.command.com/wps/portal/3M...94529207&rt=r3

OK, I'll bite. "Amoolia?"
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by cluttonfred View Post
    OK, I'll bite. "Amoolia?"
    The aviatrix cow in the AeroShell posters.

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    Hi, All;When I first moved into my hangar, I decided to hang all of my Amoolia posters on the walls. The problem is, they don't stay. ( I use 3M HD picture hooks and Velcro.) Either the wind blows them off, or the backs, being corrugated cardboard in cheap WallyMart poster frames warps, which pops-off the edge pieces.Does anyone know of an easy way to mount posters on steel hangar walls? I am not allowed to drill holes in the walls. I'd like to spend no more than $10/poster, given the number I have.Thanks for any suggestions;
    Hook some cheap bare wire from the top of the sheet metal walls to the bottom, with some crimp type terminals ( bend the ring so the wire can pass through) loose on the wire, crimp the terminals where you want to hang the posters, using two wires / terminals per poster, or four if you need to keep then ther with prop wash trying to blow them away.Post a picture when you get them hung.BJC

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron J. Covey View Post
    Hook some cheap bare wire from the top of the sheet metal walls to the bottom, with some crimp type terminals ( bend the ring so the wire can pass through) loose on the wire, crimp the terminals where you want to hang the posters, using two wires / terminals per poster, or four if you need to keep then ther with prop wash trying to blow them away.Post a picture when you get them hung.BJC
    PS. Loosen some of the sheet metal screws, and use them to hold the wires against the wall.BJC

Posters in the Hangar?

Thanks for the suggestions thus far; let me clarify and respond to those offered thus far.

FunInAviation suggested using the 3M Command products. Sorry - I just called them 3M HD hooks in my original post - I couldn't recall, but they are in fact the 3M Command HD picture frame hooks. The 1" x 3" ones.

Brian suggested running wires down the walls. I'm a bit concerned about heights, and my hangar is tall enough that there's no ladder available (well, that'd I'd consider climbing) that's long enough to reach a point where I could attach wires. Brian also suggested using the the existing screws in the hangar walls. Unfortunately, every stinkin' screw in the 3 walls are inserted from the OTHER side of the wall....

Rethinking my post, I guess the bottom line is that I'm looking for a better frame solution than anything. Frames or frame alternatives. With the cheap frames, the backing is cardboard. With the changing temps & humidity, the cardboard warps and pops-off the friction-fit top and side rails. Even with the bottom edges velcro'd to the steel, the warping pulls the self-stick portion off the backside of the cardboard.

I've thought about foregoing the edge rails and back, and just use a 2x3' piece of aluminum as a backer. But, I supposed that would get expensive. The better-quality poster frames use a masonite-type material, and the 3 posters I have in that type of frame stay pretty much in place. But they're expensive. Not so bad when you're doing that expense once a year post Convention, but for the global-replace type of task right now, cost would be prohibitive. Relatively. As in, "you spent WHAT for "just" poster frames?!?"

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

I'd go to Lowe's or Home Depot, get some thin plywood, cut it to the size of the cardboard and replace it.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

auto body filler "Bondo"

Will glue boards or whatever to metal... wood... glass... or concrete...
    Gotta Fly...
    JAM